sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M Mailing List archive?

robcat2075

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I believe you may be referring to the Killernuts Animaster FAQ?

That wasn't an A:M Mailing List archive per se but it did collect a lot of posts from the animaster mail list.

The last time I checked (a month or so ago) the killernuts animaster faq was no longer available.

It may have been disconnected with the last server move.

For awhile (back in 2003) this forum was connected to the animaster server to serve those who didn't care to leave email for the forum. (For some change is a very difficult thing) Those emails can be found mixed into the forum but it wasn't long before almost everyone moved to the forum and the simultaneous broadcasting of forum and email yeilded to forum login.

I'm not aware of anything more archival than those ever released but have seen odds and ends on the internet from the good ol' days. Somewhere on a really old harddrive I'm sure I have a whole lot of those emails from back in 1999-2002. I may not be able to access them but I surely did saved them. :blink:

• Hash Fellow

Prior to the forum, when there was just the mailing list, there was a site that collected everything that passed thru the mailing list. Its advantage over just subscribing to the mailing list was that it was searchable by keyword or by date. Since I couldn't subscribe to the mailing list I would visit the archive each day and pull up the previous day's traffic.

I have a vague feeling that maybe it was killernuts... killernuts.org maybe? There is such a site in the wayback machine but I can't recall a url for an archive.

• Hash Fellow

I'm pretty sure now that Killernuts.org/animaster was the URL.

The waybackmachine still has the search engine page that was there but it looks like no content was archived.

Thanks Rodney and Gerry, none-the-less.

• Admin

I remember trying to save the entirety of the animaster (killernuts) faq but I don't remember how successful I was at that.

Perhaps Jason (Simmons) or someone else at Hash Inc has access to a backup?

My memory says the faq was hosted on a Hash Inc server.

I'll go spelunking today through my backups and see what I can find.

A general rule to follow: Despite the increases in storage space and innovation in search capabilities for digitized information, in one hundred years very little of what you are now accessing online will be readily available. On the plus side, everyone creating online content now will likely be dead by then, so that shouldn't be as personally frustrating as it sounds. ;)

• Admin
It was more than a faq, it had every email in it.

You'd have to define your take on the word 'every' here before I'd agree with that accessment but I get your point.

I'm not aware of anything that had every animaster listserve email stored besides each individual's email client.

That does make me wonder if I could still access my old yahoo account would I mstill find a lot of those emails? Hmmm...

I do recall that email programs tended to fill up quickly and so those emails had to be saved onto the harddrive. Almost the whole time I was subscribed to the animaster listserve I didn't even know about the killernuts.org site. Not sure why... perhaps distracted by 911's termoil.

At any rate... you may have more luck with this URL:

http://venice.killernuts.org/animaster/

I can't seem to get the wayback machine to work, but it does get 34 hits from the crawler.

• Hash Fellow

It archived every email that passed through the mailing list from the late 90's until the mailing list stopped sometime after the forum started in 2003.

You could put in any date and it would show everything from midnite to midnite. I used to check it every day to see what was being discussed.