sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Japan Quake Map Dot Com

MJL

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

That is rather awesome (and I mean that literally not hyperbolically).

It reminds us just how fragile the stability of our land is.

It also explains why I constantly feel earthquakes here in Japan. (My wife doesn't feel all the earthquakes I do presumably because he's a native of Japan?)

Very very interesting.

Thanks for the site Myron!

That is quite interesting and eye-opening... the amount of 5Magnitude earthquakes in succession. Has this ever happened before in recorded history? ANY glimpse you can give on day to day life in Japan during all this Rodney, we'd love to hear.

• Admin
ANY glimpse you can give on day to day life in Japan during all this Rodney, we'd love to hear.

I fear the glimpse of day to day life you'd get from me would be pretty boring and filtered through official channels.

I'd tell you more but then I'd have to debrief you. (I'm kidding a little... um... mostly).

It's really easy yet kind of hard to explain. Things ARE beginning to settle down to a general sense of normalcy.

It's not much of an exaggeration to say right now you are likely see to more of Japan on the TV and the internet than I do. My daughter is involved in some relief work/cleanup in the local community though so perhaps we could enlist her aid.

For the most part, much of life is returning to pre-disaster activities in northern Japan which brings about it's own unique difficulties. How does one return to normal after such devastation? That's not easy. Of course as you move south toward Sendai things start to get a little dicey. Some areas more than others have become very isolated communities. If you consider for instance that there is quite a bit of rough mountainous terrain with roads and bridges out or still unstable it can be hard to navigate into those areas. The Japanese certainly are resourceful though and these communities have proven quite good at fending for themselves with the limited amount of resources available to them.

• Hash Fellow
That is quite interesting and eye-opening... the amount of 5Magnitude earthquakes in succession. Has this ever happened before in recorded history?

They've only been accurately recording earthquakes for about 100 years so the record is rather brief, but there have been more destructive earthquake/tsunami events:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-Issu...rakatoa-tsunami

Highest wave ever: 1720 feet in Alaska in 1958!