Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Finding unassigned CPs - Is there an easy way?

bubba

I have a model that has bones and CPs assigned to these bones. Or so I thought. When in bone mode and I click on the top level object in the PWS, a black bone shows up. According to what I have read, this is the default bone to with all "unassigned" CPs are assigned. I have looked and looked at my model and cannot find any black CPs. What can I do?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I have a model that has bones and CPs assigned to these bones. Or so I thought. When in bone mode and I click on the top level object in the PWS, a black bone shows up. According to what I have read, this is the default bone to with all "unassigned" CPs are assigned. I have looked and looked at my model and cannot find any black CPs. What can I do?

When any bone is selected (in bones mode) its CPs will flash yellow.

Likewise, when the model bone is selected. If no CP flashes, no CPs are still assigned to it.

• Hash Fellow
But I thought that if there were no unassigned CPs the model bone went away.

If there are no unassigned CPs that would mean that are all assigned to something.

There is no truly unassigned CP since every CP begins assigned to the model bone by default.

• Admin
I CANNOT find and black flashing CPs in my model.

As I recall it there is no such thing as a flashing black CP. Black CPs don't flash because you haven't assigned them to anything yet.

Only the CPs you've assigned to a Bone will flash. (That's how you know what you've assigned)

Black (default to root model bone)

Color (assigned to a bone)

See page 101 of your manual (TaoA:M).

Just go into bone mode and click on the background. This selects the model bone and makes any unassigned CPs flash.

But that is the problem I am facing. I CANNOT find and black flashing CPs in my model.

That is good. It means all your CPs are assigned to bones that you created. The default bone does not go away. It is always there ... lurking ... waiting ...

As I recall it there is no such thing. Black CPs don't flash because you haven't assigned them to anything yet.

Only the CPs you've assigned to a Bone will flash. (That's how you know what you've assigned)

As long as I can remember, I always selected the default model bone when i wanted to see if I had any unassigned CPs, because CPs assigned to the Default Bone (black CPs) always flash when you select the Default Bone.

• Admin
As long as I can remember, I always selected the default model bone when i wanted to see if I had any unassigned CPs, because CPs assigned to the Default Bone (black CPs) always flash when you select the Default Bone.

Of course your are right. They flash yellow here.

They don't flash until you select the Default Bone. (look for it in your window at the 0,0,0 coordinate)

All assigned CPs should flash when you select their assigned bone.

Outstanding Video Robert!

Edit: Moved this topic to Newbies and Pinned the video in Rigging and Relationships.

If you cant find the blackies, just move the model in an action using the bones you assigned. After that you can easily see in which region the problem is.

Than go to that area in the modelwindow, click into an empty space in your modelingwindow and you should see what is happening.

Still no luck? Go to bones mode, hit "CTRL" and move the bone that is near to the problem-area. That will although move the coressponding CPS (and change the model!). Make sure that you know how far you moved it to be able to bring it back to its original position! That should give you the possibility to assign the bone. After that you can move the bone holding "CTRL" and you are done.

See you

*Fuchur*

Not sure if this is 100% correct, but, the black bone will show up flashing even if nothing is assigned to it - if you click nothing in particular. Sorta like, just letting you know its still there kinda thing. Or even like, you clicked nothing in particular so Ill give you the black bone as something - even though you clicked nothing in particular. Just an afterthought guess.