sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New computer time

DJBREIT

For the most part I have a computer spec. out. But need some advice on a video card.

spec.

Desk top

i7 960 four core system with windows 7

8 GB of memory

I am looking at ATI Radeon HD card bit not fixed on it

Need it to handle three monitors.

Any suggestion or thing to avoid?

And it has been 8 years since I went computer shopping. So I feel like Bambe caught in the high beams of a Max truck when I start to look at all these video cards.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

If the motherboard has Nvidia chips on it get an Nvidia video card rather than ATI

a 512MB video card ought to be enough for most usage. But with three monitors, maybe not?

Look for a motherboard that can do 4 sticks of 4GB so you could go to 16GB later

Since you want to run three monitors, I'm pretty sure NVidia is out of the race - unless you want to buy 2 video cards.

The AMD HD 6870 looks like a nice video card. It is one of the faster ones, but not the fastest. It uses less electricity than previous AMD cards (much less than most NVidia cards). And it is pretty inexpensive.

I think the HD 6970 is the new fastest consumer card from AMD, but I'm not sure.

If the motherboard has Nvidia chips on it get an Nvidia video card rather than ATI

Based on what I've read, it is unlikely any modern motherboard will have an NVidia chipset. When the Nehalem line of processors came out, Intel sued NVidia to force them to stop making chipsets for Intel based motherboards. Intel's reasoning was that their processors no longer use a front side bus, so their contract with NVidia didn't apply anymore. Whatever that means. Anyway, they settled recently with an agreement to share "some" intellectual property and Intel giving them $1.5B.

I'm with robcat Nvidia.

Please don't finance one through dell they are high on there interest rates.

This will be in cash or credit. I have learned how to live with out debt. This will be a custom system so no preparatory software. :D

I have not selected a mother board yet. The guy who would be putting this together( if the price is right) had said to find out what video card I would need. That probably the same reasoning that robcat mentioned.

It maybe it is easier to just ask what video cards do the hash guys use. So I know what will works with AM.

Is there a chance you will be using the CS5 Adobe Graphics package? Only asking because After Effects and Premiere use the 'mercury playback engine' coupled with specific video cards (and LOTS of RAM) and can make short work of multiple HD video streams...

Is there a chance you will be using the CS5 Adobe Graphics package? Only asking because After Effects and Premiere use the 'mercury playback engine' coupled with specific video cards (and LOTS of RAM) and can make short work of multiple HD video streams...

No not at this time but it sound very expensive.$$$$$

Have you thought about buying one of the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors? From what I've read, they are very good and won't drain your bank account.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-071-_-Product

Here is an HD 6870 video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102909

I have been using an ATI HD 4850 for several years and it has worked very well with AM. I have no complaints.

Look for a motherboard that can do 4 sticks of 4GB so you could go to 16GB later

I maybe going with 6 slots on the motherboard for mem. Since I want to be able to upgrade as time go. I made a mistake with my last computer and I did not plan ahead. This time I am.

Have you thought about buying one of the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors? From what I've read, they are very good and won't drain your bank account.

Same as above. The i7 960 uses the newer LGA 1366 the Sandy Bridge processors uses the old LGA 1155.

I have been using an ATI HD 4850 for several years and it has worked very well with AM. I have no complaints.

I an guessing the Radeon card have no problem running AM nor any of the new card out their. And there’s nothing special to keep an eye out when picking a card.