Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Splinage Help

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!

I could look at this stuff all day... there's something really wrong with me... but I'm not in a real hurry to change, just yet.

Serg2 did a most 'illuminating' female body and gave the model away here on the forum some 4-5 years ago... something to search for and study. Brilliant minimal splinesmanship. Looking at your splines, I can see you are on the right track... nice minimal splineage...perhaps almost too minimal. The 1st thing I would look at is the cross-section that goes horizontally thru the breasts... click on that so you see the bias handles and hit the 'comma' key so that all the CPs on that spline are highlighted... then hide everything else. Now, from a top view (5) grab those bias handles...especially in betwixt the 'mounds' and shape them the way they should form. ALSO I would look to add one more round spline to each 'puppy' to help with the roundness that make them so... y'know. THEN--- start thinking about nipples! Displacement or geometric... both have merits, LIFE IS GOOD!

Undo those hooks and bring them lower so you can use their splines to define a ribcage... bellybuttons are fun to model too.

A reference image. Apologies in advance to those who offend easily.

The body splines courtesy of Serg2, the head/face mine. Nipples are simple decals with a color map for color and a displacement map for further anotomical accuracy and/or embellishment for visual appeal.

wtf.jpg

Robert: I had the same issue in my head too. The four patches may be where my issues begin. But it was the best way I could get the splinage to "work" in that area. When I applied more splines like how John suggested, I started losing shape and started to have some very "ugly" patch connections. I guess I don't have to be so economical, but I was trying to match the style of my web series.

http://www.scifihighanimation.webs.com/

This will be the first female model I've done in this style.

John: I love your......enthusiasm over this topic. :D Good to know I have a friend out there when it comes to this subject. ;)

I liked you idea for the rib cage and have re-done that. Like I said my splinamanship is not great and handling those bias handles can lead to trouble but I'll try that as well.

I'm trying primarly to get rid of these patch issues.

post-4389-1289364372_thumb.jpg

My best solution when working it out comes down to the following

post-4389-1289364392_thumb.jpg

But I know there are going to be some bad patches in there around the rib cage.

Do I need to rebuild the shoulder area and then remake a better, stronger, breast?(six million dollar man theme playing in my head)lol

Adding an additional ring near the chest - like John's, much like you've done, is the way to go. While your initial simplistic splinage looks great in profile, having such a large amount of curvature covered by a single patch tends to look flat and angular in any other view, as you've found.

I'd keep the basic shape of the breast, but completely reconstruct them. When you start adding new splines into something like that, particularly with all the bias tweaking going on, it starts looking pretty messy pretty quickly. Make a copy of the model, delete one breast and then lock that side start and rebuilding based on the shape of the other one.

• 3 months later...

Those are "suppose" to be her leg seams...lol. I didn't want them to stand out as much as the other lines, but I guesss they stand out even more. Maybe I'll try to model them as opposed to using a decal since they are not translating well....lol

I think it's more that it's hard to tell if she's wearing pants or not. The "seams" seem like they're supposed to be pants... but the color is identical to the face. If they are indeed pants, you should probably change the color to something that's not the same as the skin.

• Admin

Awesome character.

My first thought is that if it is pants then a dark color (black?) would create nice contrast and direct attention to her face.

Now you've got me wondering...

Besides the ability to turn every guys head in the room, I'm wondering what her superpower is.