sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

crazy model

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a model, that is driving me crazy.

When I change the groups transparancy to twenty for instance,

it changes the thickness of the toonlines as well.

I didnot have that on any of my other models and cannot think of anything

that might cause this.

Any help anybody?

I can't look at your model cause I'm at work right now.....I'm guessing that the whole model is transparent? I had the same issue with the beaker in my toon shaded episode. At diffrent levels of transparency the lines would change up on me too. One way around is to combine a render lines only with a render without lines pass.

One thing I've always found as a quick fix when it come to "controling" toon lines is to make them yourself. When I was working on SciFI High I was finding spots where I wanted a line to accent or define but just wasn't there on the model. What you can do is copy or make the splines and group those and bone them to the model where they should rest. then just define in the suface the thinkness for just that group.

Can you specify a thinner line depending on the transparency? Also, what about changing the toonline bias? Just guessing. The other solution is what paradymx suggested, render a separate file for the lines and composite, but it would be nice to find a solution inside A:M!

• Admin
When I change the groups transparancy to twenty

I'm not getting this on my end using your file.

When I change the (blue color) group's transparency (to 20), the lines still render the same.

Is it possible that you've animated the toon line thickness over time?

If you are using an Action or Choreography we don't have access to that to test... only your model.

• Admin
Are you on PC with 15j ?

Yes, PC with 15j.

I just ran a test of your Chor with your model with transparency at 0 percent and transparency at 20 percent.

No change in toon line evident.

Something else is going on here.

When you go to render what are your render settings?

As this is effecting all models (regardless of their individual settings) that seems to be the most common variable to look into.

Have you changed any of the default toon rendering settings or just turned Toon on and let it render with default settings?

I did not see any Toon settings turned on in the Model's Group itself so must assume you are getting the toon from the render settings.

Multipass on?

Blur?

Anything else?

My results are rendering as in your first image.

If you haven't closed down and restarted A:M in a long time try that before anything else.

Conflicting settings might have got stuck in memory.

it`s all quite basic for testreasons.

The toonsettings are set in the properties for the whole model.

The transparency I change in the properties for the blue group

which has no toonsettings set.

Tested in render mode and render to filemode. nothing special in rendersettings, just toon on and multipass 5x,

getting the toon from the model settings

See attached pictures. Have you tested it like that?

BToontestA.png

BToontestB.png

BToontestC.png

In your example screen captures - I see many differences in the surface settings besides changing the transparency (eg line settings, gradient, specularity, color) - when I take your model and ONLY change transparency I do not get any change in the line widths. 5 pass.

The difference that appears above the horizon is a known issue - you would need to add a background model (eg dome) to obscure the empty "sky/background color"

comparetoontest0.jpg

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for testing.

You had all the settings set in the models property like I did , right?

and changed the transparency in the blue group properties from not set

to 20% transparent, correct? not in the model properties?

(Forget it. Doesn`t matter anyway...)

Sigh, I simply don`t get it, what the difference on my computer could be.....

...the toonlinethickness seems to be dependend of the toonlinethickness of the ground.

I changed that from 1.5 to 0.6 also and my model looks o.k.

Don`t know, if that`s a workaround or just usererror, but seems I can live with that now....

BToontestD.png