sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

output video

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
so far I have rendered my videos for Youtube

I wish to rerender the plagues at a larger size for my tv.

how do I change the output settings?

Thanks!

One thing to check is what res does your DVD burning software regard as "normal". Most will take almost anything and scale it since they are re-encoding it anyway. But scaling is time consuming.

720x480 is the size of the image on a DVD. The trick is that widescreen (16:9) or standard (4:3) isn't exactly proportionate. So the DVD either stretches or shrinks the pixels. For standard (4:3), the aspect ratio is .91 for widescreen (16:9), it's 1.2121.

You can set this in the resolution settings for the camera in the "Aspect" setting.

if I put what I have on my tv now (burned to dvd)

The colors freak out and get way too bright.

I want it to not distort my colors so I wish to render it larger from now on

You will probably have to either choose less saturated - ie video safe or whatever safe colors in your animations.

I believe there is a post effect in A:M to do that - but I've never used it.

OR adjust the tv (not totally serious here).

• Hash Fellow
The colors freak out and get way too bright.

In order to put my CG animation into the NLE where I worked I had to compress the brightness level to fit into levels that are specified by something called CCIR 601.

Basically, TV had to use the top and bottom of its potential signal level for things besides showing full white and black. So white on your TV happens from a signal that is less than full on and black from a signal that is less than full off.

The more than white and less than black parts of the signal are reserved to flag things like frame synch .

Digital TV imitated this and restricted picture levels the a range of 16 to 235 within the 255 levels of 8-bit imagery.

Even within that range there are color saturations that are not allowed. A red of 235,16,16 would be too red.

A:M has a "video Safe " post effect to limit color, but it doesn't limit brightness.

I did both operations in After Effects instead.

It may be that your DVD burner expects only footage from video cameras which automatically restrict themselves.

I'm not sure that this is your problem, but if your whites and reds are over bright, that's an indicator.

I wonder how one might do this compression in A:M alone? hmmm....

If you have a post App like after effects, you can get a bunch done in the color corrections filters/ effects. But straight out of Hash normally gives great results. My current project is being rendered at 720p or 1280x720HD in the Hash settings. Because I am layer rendering different aspects of each shot(Characters, shadows, backgrounds, props), I am using a post APP to bring things back together for final edit. THIS is important to understand aspect ratios and how to "Letterbox" things depending on how you want people to see your work. I wish hash would give an option for setting distinct Aspect ratios as well as resolution. For instance 16:9, 4:3.....etc. Currently it only allows for typing in a numeric digit which I have no idea how this matches up with the 16:9, 4:3, etc. I'm sure it matches up, but I don't know how.

I guess "1" equals square pixels and so forth but I don't know.....As I'm typing this, I'm thinking it would be cool to have a chart of the equivalent matches for the Hash aspect numbers to actual aspect ratios.....16:9, etc.

Cheers,

William

• Hash Fellow
I wish hash would give an option for setting distinct Aspect ratios as well as resolution. For instance 16:9, 4:3.....etc. Currently it only allows for typing in a numeric digit which I have no idea how this matches up with the 16:9, 4:3, etc. I'm sure it matches up, but I don't know how.

I guess "1" equals square pixels and so forth but I don't know.....As I'm typing this, I'm thinking it would be cool to have a chart of the equivalent matches for the Hash aspect numbers to actual aspect ratios.....16:9, etc.

Remember that all modern HD formats are square pixel formats. 1280/720 equals 16/9

In other words, a 1280 by 730 pixel screen fits a 16:9 frame exactly

1 is the correct aspect ratio to put in the A:M render options.

Now, cramming a widescreen movie onto a standard DVD... that's a different issue.

DVDs were made to contain 4:3 Images. Digital NTSC has 720x480 pixels which is not 4:3 if they are square. Those pixels are really about 0.89 aspect ration which skinnies up the 720x480 image to fit in the 4:3 television screen.

Widescreen DVDs (not blu-ray) have to use those same 720x480 pixels to store their 16:9 image. They do that by telling the widescreen display to fatten them out to about a 1.18 aspect ratio. that stretches the 720x480 image to fit a 16:9 frame.

• Hash Fellow
So when you burn the file to DVD you include a code of some sort that says to the TV: Hey, Dummy, widen these pixels out to use your whole screen? or something like that.

Basically yes. How you tell your software to do that, or if it is even allows this, and whether it expects you to give it pre-squeezed footage or if it wants square pixel footage and will squeeze it for you... that's where you hope the translation of the manual from German to Korean to Spanish to English went real well.

You will need to experiment on short clips first. Most modern day HD TVs have the 'aspect' button- usually with 'zoom', full', and 'normal' settings... IF you have no post app like AE, then you will render out of A:M at either 720X480 or 864X486... depending on if your DVD software automatically letterboxes 16 X 9 clips or not. Experiment.