sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bumps not uniform from patch to patch?

Meowx

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

From what I can tell, the problem is in your second image in the decal.

Adjusting that will resolve the uniformity problem.

At a guess I would suggest the image isn't a proper Normal Map.

Changing the decal type from 'Normal' to 'Bump' 'Displacement' considerably lessens the adverse effect.

Edit: Displacement can produce some pretty interesting cloth effects.

The artifacts point back to problem areas in the image.

Displacement.png

• Hash Fellow
At a guess I would suggest the image isn't a proper Normal Map.

Yes. A normal map is a color image with different color channels storing the angle of the "normal" at each pixel. Almost impossible to paint one by hand. I'm surprised the gray map did anything!

There was a tut found on here a while back that showed how to extract a normal map from photos of real object but it depended on the objects being all white.

Using it as a bump map produces the exact same result, tho...

edit: orr.... not. Hm, that's odd; when it happened before it would do the exact same glitch with bump or normal, but not with displacement.

• Hash Fellow
Yeah, I'm looking into proper normal maps now and it's pretty cool stuff.

And after further testing, the bump map STILL does the same thing - just at certain angles:

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz026.jpg

I don't see any patch lines on that

Just checking...(I changed normal to bump in your sash project)

Are you viewing with Render lock (green button) ON screen (which looks bad and is not how it will render) as well as Render mode (blue button - which looks good to me and is how it will final render based on whatever settings you have in your render dialog?

renderlock_bad.jpg

rendermode_good.jpg

Use the legacy bump, though you will have to set the percentage much, much higher to get the look you are after. I tested the legacy bump and did not see the issue you are having, I did with the regular bump. There seems to be an issue with the regular bump, I would send it to A:M reports.

Alright, I submitted a report. Rob, check out the left side of that image. Nancy, yeah unfortunately I am using the blue button (the Q key) and getting those screenshots.

Legacy bump and displacement maps seem to be completely free of this bug.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!

All right, this is still popping up and I've discovered that it's not actually the maps.

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz027.jpgAnimation_MasterScreenSnapz028.jpg

No color map here, just bump. I was having problems getting the belly button to work (it sits right on a CP) and found some of the surrounding patches to have the same problem. However, after removing ALL maps...

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz031.jpg

The glitch was still there. Much less noticable, but you can especially see it on that bottom spline.

I'm at a loss here. The normals are correct. There are no bias adjustments. I tried removing the CPs from ALL groups, and got the same result. Any ideas?