Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

One more from a "Super Secret Project"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Bjorn put an image in my mind I cannot escape.

Your characters in a battle japanese samurai style.

The characters charge

Blades flash

The characters freeze

(Anticipation of who has won)

The loser slowly falls apart

Been done before BUT not with Vegetables!!!

Rodney

Nice design, from what I can see.

Sort of an aside: there are elements to that rendering that, due to my being neck deep in the 8.5 renderer (which, BTW is getting me some very pleasing results), are just plain pretty- little things like the way the surface specularities have multiple levels (partly your texturing job is responsible here too), and the way the finer details aren't lost under the porcelein (I assume you used it over some areas). The shading on the teeth is especially nice. I know SOME of this is due to your careful texturing job, so don't take this as a slight- I know how tough it can be to get such good results.

What v. of AM is that rendered in? And what sort of lighting solution did you use?

Javier: Samurai yes, squash no :) He's a pickle i don't think the textures are all the way there yet though.

Dearmad: He's just lit with a three point light set-up (key is a sun fills are kliegs) rendered in 10.5p

modeling on this character was a collabrative effort with Troy Gilliland and myself.

Gherkin_wire.jpg

as you can see the splinage is nice a light and overall easy to animate. the eyes are cut with a hierarchical boolean which makes the non-round shape possible.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I always thought about using a boolean iris. How does that work in an animation situation?

Javier

Frankly in this situation it makes animation possible. the eyes on this character are a little more than just non-spherical they are completely egg shaped. Since teh introduction of Hierarchical boolean cutters though I can no have the iris just cut into the white of the eye (creating the pupil while it's at it) and I can simply move the cutter like I would any other eye (there is some smartskin in there to keep the cutter oriented to the white of the eye as it rotates around.) the Pupil is also part of the cutter and simply scaling the cp's for that section on a pose slider does the trick for dilation. It's a very flexable and workable solution.

-David Rogers

Thanks Hutch,

It's possible in the future but at the moment I'm a wee bit too busy to add another thing to my plate. here's a basic rundown:

Hierarchical Booleans are booleans that do not cut mesh that is assigned to bones that are children of the cutter bone. YOu don't have to do anything to turn them on they just are.

For each eye i used a cutter (since the eye-sockets are no where near spherical) and made children of those bones to contain the parts of the mesh that are likely to intersect with the cutters (eyelids etc) that i didn't want cut.

Of course since I will want to move the cutters to move the eyes the children of the cutter are also constrained to bones that are under a different hierarchy (the head). This way I get non-spherical eyes, and round irises/pupils that animate easily

hope this helps clear the technique up a little.

-David Rogers

• 2 months later...

Well as character modeling wraps up I thought it might be nice to post a render of the Villains of the short assembled for all to see. This is just my scale test chor (to make sure the characters are all the same scale) lit with Skycast to make it pretty :)

from right to left: Thug, Roma, Rutger and Peppe.

The tomatoes were modeled by myself Peppe was modeled by Troy Gilliland. These characters are not textured yet, but I'll be passing them off to the texture artist as soon as I finish rigging them.

Comments and Crits welcome.

-David Rogers

post-7-1083785202.jpg

Crap!

I better get busy on the textures!

I still think "The Terminato" would be a cool villain.....

Maybe for the sequal!

p.s. When you pitch this as a series, keep it simple. Just say: "Veggie Tales meets the Sapranos"

p.s.s. I get funny looks at the supermarket with my digital camera.

Vernon Zehr