Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Books Question

Rob_T

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two books and if either is worth getting?

http://www.amazon.com/Animation-Master-Com...ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Animation...84504757/?itm=2

They both seem to have been published in May of 2006. They have similar product descriptions. The same author. But a difference title, a different cover and a different page count.

One is available at B&N online the other at Amazon. Neither book is available at both sites.

Also, is either book worth the money? I completed TAO. Is this going to walk me through the same stuff or is it more advanced and worth the investment? The reviews (what few there are) are good.

I also find myself baffled by the wild pricing variations on these books. I can get one used, probably without the CD for $20; from Amazon new (I assume with the cd) for $32 but there are places selling it used for over $80 and new for over $200.

I R confuzled. :wacko:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I think those are the same book. B&N is always higher priced than Amazon.

I have the 2002 version. It's certainly a deeper look at A:M than TAoA:M and well worth $19.99. It will start you out from scratch however rather than just pick up where TaoA:M left off, but getting a second explanation of things wont' hurt.

Unless a listing says the CD is missing it ought to have the CD, but perhaps there's a way to contact the used seller to check

I have two A:M books: the Complete Guide and an older 2000 A:M Handbook (by Jeff Paries). Both have valuable information. I like being able to peruse them when I have free moments and I've consulted both of them when trying something new.

There used to be more tutorial discs out there, but most of them seem to be gone now. Keep an eye on eBay and you might find some things. Also here in the forums. I've seen people sell all of their training materials here when they no longer need them... presumably for cheap.

• Hash Fellow
Are the these 2006 versions the most recent manuals that are out there? And does anyone know if there might be newer versions in the works?

It's the most recent that David Rogers has written. Some new features have been added since then of course, but I don't think anything that's new would invalidate the advice he gives on the features he does cover.

As always, you can ask on the forum when you have a question. New features tend to have gotten some discussion here in several threads.

It's been said that William Sutton has a book in the making about A:M, but I dont know if this is just rumours.

Anyway: 200x / Complete Guide is very well written and at this moment the most recent. You will find many useful informations in there.

I am a longtime-A:M user but I always find something new or something I forgot in my Complete-Guids-Books. (got 2000, 2002 and 200x).

The technical reference was printed out and available too (dont know if you can still get it) but this is more suited for people who know what they are looking for. It is not a tutorial-book.

*Fuchur*