Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

XMEGA

Hello friends

I want to show you the latest collaborated animation done for Atmel. This is part two of the MCU teasers, part one can be found here. Its a combination between 3D objects and 2D environment

Please let me know what you think

Best regards

Stian

XMEGA animation please be patient, the file is 30MB

Credits:

Runar Finanger - After Effects/Environment/Editing

Eivind Sivertsen - Sound Design/Story

Stian Wahlvåg - 3D/Animation

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terific ,I perticulaly liked the camera pan that was really well done .The only thing I could see that might be wanting or maybe not is the light ball on the right when coming out the well comes through the side ,not the top .I just noticed it and Im no critic thats for sure .Thought it worth mensioning

Stian,

At present I can't seem to connect to your site.

I tried with both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Hope we didn't crash your server or use up all your bandwidth.

i don't know what happened, but its up and running again

• Hash Fellow

I think that works real well.

My only thought would be that there are several points where the light/shadow direction seems inconsistent, but the overall effect is quite good.

• Admin

Yes. I was able to get through this time. :)

Another great animation Stian.

This one isn't quite as dynamic as the first one no?

That one was all out action.

A few assumptions here before I go on:

- You aren't likely to change anything?

- There is some voice over missing?

My observations:

- Odin=cool character :)

- When we first see the character he and everything around him seems frozen in place for too long.

(The idea of having Odin in a strong frozen pose is good but it'd be nice if the birds moved just a little. If not the birds... something moving or changing color to keep the eye interested. Maybe evidence of wind?)

Edit: I know! A glint of light off of Odin's eye just after a slight energizing power up via the yellow circle on his chest! :)

- Nice sweep pan over to the well. I like the speed of it.

I'm not sure about the intention of the scene at the well so I'll just tell you how it reads to me.

- It seems to me that the birds have a clear intent in going to the well. But when they get there the intent seems to disappear. Its the lights that find them rather than the opposite. The lights seek them. Not sure here. I think zooming in just a little, perhaps starting the zoom as soon as the sweep pan ended would help with showing the detail. (Those birds are small and its hard to see them standing on the well.

If there is no narrative we are missing I think the lingering shot on both the intro to Odin and the well could be shortened to pick up the pace a little. In particular after the sweep pan over to the well the shot could being with the birds in frame desending to the well.

After typing the above I went back and looked again.

Thats great stuff Stian. My observations really don't mean anything do they? ;)

• Admin

All of the former observerations were made in real time while the ideas were fresh in my mind.

In retrospect all of the observations have to do with movement and in particular keeping the eye interested and moving through the frame. At the point were things stop moving the eye gets lost and confused just a little.

Just a little movement to direct the viewer's attention and keep things going would be all it would take to make this sequence flow even better.

Hope that makes sense Stian.

Interesting modern feel (and looks good) but very weird: strange palette, odd mix of character & background, obscure intent. Was is subtle? Was it ironic? Was it an advertisement? Art? Who's the audience?

p.s. I saw "Watchmen" this weekend & I wondered the same kinds of things - and I liked it too.

I have to say I liked the first one better. Not just because of the amount of action but the character felt more in the scene. Very strong pose on the character and I like the camera work but I think you missed out on not having more reflections on him.With how fast the clouds were moving I would have liked to have seen this reflected in him. The clouds were a great idea and certainly went part way to conveying the mood you were after. The lighting fell short of helping you totally accomplish this because it was too consistent both at the main scene and well. With the addition of the birds and magic I think a darker lighting in the well scene really would have added to the effect you were going for.One question I had was when you were doing a close up pan of the mountains in the original shot why wouldn't you have used the modeled mountain from the end of the first animation? I think the choice of music is excellent and helps keep the mood of the piece. Overall, I think with a bit of tweaking you could bring this to the level of the first spot.

another cool spot stian.... very nice... i don´t really get it, but i like it a lot ;)

the others are propably right about a few details regarding lighting, reflections and stuff, but i have the suspicion that it was your intention to get that lovely surreal feel to it. cheers...

Thank you for the comments guys.

The videos was created to be used at trade shows as attention catchers, and for that they worked very well. The XMEGA video is harder to understand than the picoPower teaser, and we would have redone most of the video if we had the time. The XMEGA is about the event system (ravens) working independent of the CPU (Odin), Mimirs Well is the data input.

Lookin GOOD Stian! Were the 'well' particles done in AE?
Thanks. The lightballs are made in AE, but the runic letters are made in ParticleIllusion3, wrapped around a cylinder in A:M and rendered

The videos was created to be used at trade shows as attention catchers, and for that they worked very well.

Yah. for an attention grabber - it works well. It communicates POWER.

My one critique/thought - which doesn't matter given the intent of the video - is that it feels/looks "composited" - ie flat, with obvious layers - but well done in a stylistic way.