Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Children's book illustration

josema

Hi!

This is my first time posting in this section, or any section for that matter. Anyway I thought I share one of my most recent illustrations using A.M.. Please let me know what you think, and any suggestions ya'll might have.

Thanx for your interest.

post-8-1075398662.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like. I like a lot.

It seems you've hit an interesting mix between a textured, CGI look, and a more simple flat-color illustrative one. The transition between the clean, basic clouds and sky at top, and the textured water/rock at bottom is a great technique.

Personally, I'd love to see more-

-M@

Hi - oh yes - I like like it alot also - very cute - love the background, love the models, color scheme

some suggestions, composition wise:

the far tree is confusing, appears to be part of the front tree - maybe move it a bit? to break illusion, or change color to darker?, or change camera angle some?. separate the bug a bit more from the background, his silohouette(sp?) gets a bit lost. perhaps add some more foreground interest, or items on tall hill (smaller plants, bugs,)- for some side activities extraneous to the story...

"hot spot on mushroom" is a bit shiny, maybe tone down the specularity?

As I said very cute..thanks for posting - Nancy

Very nice elements and variety, but now I wonder what is the main focus. The usage and color of the pond is very clever. It instantly draws your focal point down.

The mushroom house gets all of the attention here. The centipede is a bit subdued in coloration and seems less significant and the eye is drawn back to the mushroom. If that's the intent you did well. If the centipede is the target. Then perhaps using a more saturated or contrasting color could help guide the eye.

Thank you guys for your comments. You've been very helpful in giving me some idea in terms of the things I should be thinking about and resolving even before I start using A.M.. I still have a lot to learn about the program, but that's just the technical side, and in time we'll get there.

By the way, I should be getting my upgrade to 10.5 today, so I'll have plenty to play around with.

This is realy nice stuff. It is nice to see th 3d medium used to make these kinds of illustrations. Are you using a gradient on the roof? Looks good. I also like the way that you made those clouds.

One thing that I noticed though is that the reeds in the foreground coincide a lot with the house. This makes a relationship between them and kind of flattens things out. You could either separate the objects or make them cut across each other more to give them more of their own identity and set the space.

• Hash Fellow

I really like the clouds. I think the compositional elements need to be juggled to make the caterpillar guy read better.

Outside of "Where's Waldo?", most children's book illustrations seem to try to make things very obvious.

I agree that the highlight on the mushroom is out of place here.

Perhaps the terrain could be more detailed?

But the general atmosphere and style of the elements is quite nice in this.

Hi again!

I think you guys are right, more detail is in order here, specially for the ground and where it meets the water. Not to make excuses for myself, as most of you know, it's hard to get everything just right specially when you're up against a deadline. But I do plan to tweak it a bit more.

Thanks again!

P.S. By the way John, it is a gradient on the roof. Thanks for asking.

This is wonderful work. I can't comment on composition as I'm such a newbie but I will say I don't think more detail is needed at all. I think what is needed is more focus on the subject. Is it the house or the caterpiller? Anyhow, I am waiting to see how this will progress. Please keep us posted.

Doug