Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fluids

flashawd

Hi - I have a potential client that want their plastic bottle modelled in 3D and animated to show how it works. I have been playing around w/ the fluids tutorials and all the samples that people have generously posted and it seems that fluids is more designed to work as a faucet, hose, water fountain... anything flowing. Is it possible to have fluid in a bottle for example tip up the bottle and have it flow into a second chamber. I posted a flash anim of the bottle I modelled doing a 360 spin, so you can see the hole in the center that connects the two chambers that I need the fluid to flow through. Any help would be appreciated - even when you check "object collisions" on - it seems to go through mesh.

Here is a link to the spinning bottle

http://www.flashanimationwebsitedesign.com/rob/rob01.html

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try a dense mesh and play with both the size of the fluid particles and the settings and it might work

rtry.mov

rtry.zip

This is a shaded wire frame which seems to almost do what you want and I did not do any major tweaking... to hide some edge leakage (but no fall through !) you could double skin the models outside to hide this that maybe?

just a thought as I shut down

or ...an animated material....how liquid is the liquid in question...watery or thicker

Thanks for all the suggestions. ;-) That was an interesting idea to flip the normals, but didn't work a I thought it might.

http://www.flashanimationwebsitedesign.com/rob/rob03.html

And thank you John again for the retry. The problem w/ a double wall is there is a small hole in the center that the fluid is supposed to run through to level it out to an exact amount of liquid in the bottle when you tip in back to a sitting position, so I can't really thickin that up

Also, can anything think of another way to animate this - John you mentioned an animated material?? I was thinking I could bring the final render into flash and somehow do it with a shape tween.

Anyway, thank for all the help.

Just wanted to post the final mockup for anyone that cares. ;-) I was able to take the bottle created in AM and add the fluid in Flash - it didn't come out half bad - I had to modify the fluid graphic 120 time in every frame, and it came out with pretty good results - hopefully my client likes it. Looking forward to a future update to fluids in AM where you can have a sitting fluid. Thanks again for the help.

http://www.flashanimationwebsitedesign.com/rob/rob05.html

Thanks everyone. Bighop - I tried a motion tween and it just wasn't controllable enough. I just started w/ a green square, stretched it and gave it a 30% transparency. Then I had to copy and paste it 120 times and modify for the 10 seconds. It was pretty laborous, but really the only way I could see of doing it. - E

Robcat - it was odd - I created a square in the first frame and streched it a bit to fill the shape of the lower bottle then I had to copy it - then give the original a transparency of 30% - to do this I had to make it an object (and you cant' stretch an object unless to double click down to the original form - but when you do that - it will change the shape for all version of it). Then I would go to the next frame and paste - the non-object version of it (original) - and strech it a bit to show the fluid moving - then same thing copy it and create it into an object and transpency it. I had to do it over and over for each frame. I tried a motion tween, but it was very uncontrollable - I hope my description made sense to you - not sure it makes sense to me. ;)