Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I know its been asked but .....

WarioLoaf

i can animate, but i dunno how to make models. i can't find a totorial that just teaches you how to make a model.

How would i start making a model like this:

m03.jpg

Once i get the hang of that i can go onto starting cunstruction on my Warioman movie stuff.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all asked this question in the beginning, but the truth is there is no easy answer. Making a model isn't one question, but hundreds (if not thousands) of questions. And there are more than one answer to each of those questions.

The trick is to learn the basics first. Learn how to make very simple basic shapes and objects. Find out how CPs, splines and patches work together.

Your movie is extremely ambitious, so you're going to need to learn all the basic building blocks.

And then, when you've learned all of that and have modeled your character... you have to learn how to rig it! :-)

Hmmmm, well i shall do the tortorials and read through the manual plentey of times and when the first of my 10 chapter serial is done, it shall improve and by Chapter 10 i shall have a very impressive build to my story.

I may not even get past the sixth chapter by next augest.......... oh well

I started to do a Wink tutorial for modelling this guy but with just modelling the coat and trousers the movie was around 40 MB. Having started him I felt obliged to take it further.

Things that still need doing:

1) Improve the overall shape of the face and body, particularly the nose, and the fitting of the clothing.

2) Add shirt cuffs and add pockets and tails to the coat.

3) Fix some bad modelling on the lapels and finish the hem and sleaves.

4) Adjust the hair so that it doesn't penetrate the hat.

5) Model his umbrella and add a cord to his monocle.

6) Give him eyes that match the reference picture.

7) Texture everything.

8) Rig him.

Total patches = 1653

Hmmm. Didn't he have a cigar too? Or is this character not the Penguin?

If and when I finish him you can have him. :)

Paul, you're really been coming out of your shell lately. I'm amazed at your accomplishments man. Great work :)

I believe Penguin had one of those cigarette filter/holders, ya know, the long skinny tube with the cigarette at the end? (I never figured what they're called properly even though I had one when I used to smoke)

He say he dunno how to model, and then he comes up with something good like that... :huh: I'd suggest that the vest looks too much like a straitjacket; needs more texture to look like cloth. Then again, if it's going to be tooned, that won't matter.

Penguin had a cigarette holder. I think they're just called "cigarette holders" unless there's a name in some other language.

Very nice, Paul. Although that version of the Penguin had the "flipper" hands forced on him from "Batman Returns." The middle-ring-pinky fingers were fused into one finger. Too late to change it probably. I'm pretty sure they abandoned that when the characters were re-designed later on in the series.

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

I don't really know the history of the Penguin character though I have just found this gallery: Penguin

I had assumed that the picture that WarioLoaf posted was from the 40s or earlier but I see now that it was from th 90s.

You should finish the tut, that would be a good case study.

Yeah. Maybe.

The middle-ring-pinky fingers were fused into one finger. Too late to change it probably.

Hmmm. I see that now. It's not too late though.

I can see that he also should have legs that taper more, pointy shoes and eye liner. :D

I am very tempted to deviate and make my own version of Penguin but as that wasn't the aim I will finish this version first.