Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

where to post questions?

agp

Hello,

I've been off this forum for quite a while and it hasn't half changed! I'm going to consider myself a "newbie" as I'm reminding myself of AM v11 and its features. I wanted to ask a couple of questions but firstly couldn't work out where to post!

OK, question 1 - modelling in v11 (orangutang) I created some 5 point patches on a face model I'm working on and then added Porcelain - some of the patches turned black. I can't remember if I have to delete the material shortcut and re-apply or re-create the patch. (I have checked the direction of normals)

Question 2 - are there any good tutorials on relationships and creating sliders for poses / constraints in AM v11 out there?

Question 3 - is there a v11 specific forum here and where can I post WIP pics for v11 feedback?

Sorry about this but I was more used to the old mailing list - can remember some old names here on the new forum too.

Alf :blink:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I created some 5 point patches on a face model I'm working on and then added Porcelain - some of the patches turned black.

Select the black patches and hit the "F" key to flip them. You may find after flipping the normals that you have to save and reload your project before they display correctly.

are there any good tutorials on relationships and creating sliders for poses / constraints in AM v11 out there?

Not sure. Sorry. Clicking on those links under Rodney's post should help you.

is there a v11 specific forum here and where can I post WIP pics for v11 feedback?
No. Just ask away but you will be encouraged to upgrade.

Welcome back! :)

Shhhhhh dont let them know, but im using version 11.1z.

While washing dogs to make enough money to buy my kid's formula and medicine for their life-threatening diseases, I was wondering who the people were who were not keeping their A:M subscription current and thereby causing the programmers at Hash to quit and go find real jobs where people appreciated and supported what they do.

Alas, I must get back to collecting old aluminum foil and picking up dog-doo for money.

• Admin

Humor always has a way of taking the edge off of tough areas of discussion.

Not to run this off topic but its really sad to know that programmers that had been with Hash Inc for almost 20 years left because they couldn't get the recognition they deserved for their work. I'm not sure many people know that they've even moved on.

We aren't the most 'in the know' group of software users.

Too deep a discussion for here I'm sure but its still a sad statement of fact.

I'm glad they are doing well and getting satisfaction where they are now.

I was just thinking how great a program A:M has been through the years.

A work of art in bits and bytes programmed and maintained by people who know and love what they are doing.

And now you say two people at Hash Inc don't even get paid for thier work at Hash Inc?

I knew about you but who else... that's unbelievable.

How did things come to this?

Here's hoping you all stick with us Martin.

You're service and support, your outstanding product and your love for computer animation, is well worth my $99 for many years to come.

Tell Steve and the guys they can have my shoes. I'm planning to sit behind my computer learning to animate with A:M anyway so probably won't be needing them much. They aren't the most comfortable but they are sure to be less worn and holey than theirs.

Most importantly, be sure to thank them for all the hard work they've been doing there at Hash Inc.

Their efforts really are appreciated.

I'm tired now so I think I'll go dream a little while I sleep.

Maybe the world will be set right in the morning?

No, not much chance of that, but at least I've still got dreaming.

Somebody turn out the lights and walk that dang dog.

I created some 5 point patches on a face model I'm working on and then added Porcelain - some of the patches turned black.

Select the black patches and hit the "F" key to flip them. You may find after flipping the normals that you have to save and reload your project before they display correctly.

Thanks very much Paul! I didn't reload so kept wondering what I was doing wrong. I've chosen not to use Porcelain this time around on the model but I'll remember the tip!

are there any good tutorials on relationships and creating sliders for poses / constraints in AM v11 out there?

Not sure. Sorry. Clicking on those links under Rodney's post should help you.

Welcome back! :)

Thank you very much! I note AM is on version 13 - any major changes since version 11? I remember hair was done quite differently between version 10 and version 11...

Alf

While washing dogs to make enough money to buy my kid's formula and medicine for their life-threatening diseases, I was wondering who the people were who were not keeping their A:M subscription current and thereby causing the programmers at Hash to quit and go find real jobs where people appreciated and supported what they do.

Alas, I must get back to collecting old aluminum foil and picking up dog-doo for money.

Wow, Martin Hash himself? I don't ever recall you posting on the old forums...

Thanks for the upgrade reminder - I really liked version 11 but will read up on version 13 to see if my project will benefit from a susbscription upgrade.

Alf

• Admin

Alf,

Its quite likely that if you've started a project in v11 you'll want to see it through to the end in v11.

Thats just the nature of keeping things locked down and avoiding feature creep.

There is also the matter of a file format change between v11 and v13.

Just as you can't take a file back easily from v11 to v8.5p++ you won't be able to go from v13 back to v11. Consider any move forward in production very carefully.

Personally, I think moving to v13/v14 would be a really good thing.

But all that aside, there is a subtle point that many are missing.

Use whatever version you need to get the job done but consider how upgrading will support Hash Inc too. If A:M (v8,v9,v10, v11... whatever) has been successful in your projects its a testament to how well Hash Inc has supported you with great software.

But if you've gone years without upgrading think how far it'll go in saying 'Thanks' to Hash Inc.

I continue to work on Martin to restore his faith in us as A:M Users.

This has been a tough sell.

As artists we tend to find our tools and stick with them. Especially when they really work well.

This creates a weird problem for Hash Inc.

The better they make their software the fewer that are likely to upgrade.

It should be the other way around right?

From the business side of things Martin is certainly right. Our record as A:M Users isn't so good.

When paying programmers and determining satisfaction in his product he can only count on those that support them financially and reward them for their work. He's counting on your upgrade to show the level of your support and satisfaction. It sets expectations for the future.

Investment must come first before anything can be returned.

But somehow we've got this system all backward.

We look for new features first... then upgrade.

But $99 can only go so far after the fact.

Invest it early and it'll have more impact.

But this isn't all about supporting Hash Inc.

Its about supporting yourself too.

The best thing about upgrading is not just that it sends your signal of support to Hash Inc.

You get really great software!

And its going to get even better.

Here's a look at what Hash Inc has delivered in previous versions.

http://www.hash.com/am2007/

http://www.hash.com/am2006/

http://www.hash.com/am2005/

http://www.hash.com/am2004/

http://www.hash.com/am2003/

...and now the wheels are turning toward 2008 and v15.

The future of A:M won't be the same without you.

They won't take your blood anymore?

Not after suffering from a contagious ailment that I got from not eating enough nutritional foods. (The garbage bins in Portland are already picked through by the time I get there.)

Thanks for the upgrade reminder - I really liked version 11 but will read up on version 13 to see if my project will benefit from a susbscription upgrade.

You must be confused: it's me who benefits from the Upgrade, not you. You're still resting on my work of 3 years ago. I've got some 3-year old newspapers you can read if you need to know what's going on in the world but if you want to know the lowdown now, fork over the subscription money. Do you think I'm kidding?

Alf,

Its quite likely that if you've started a project in v11 you'll want to see it through to the end in v11.

Thats just the nature of keeping things locked down and avoiding feature creep.

There is also the matter of a file format change between v11 and v13.

Thanks for that. I tend to create models only. Model file formats tend to be stable and I have modeled in 8.5p and opened them up in version 11. Same going backwards - except that I really liked the stitch tool in version 11.

...and now the wheels are turning toward 2008 and v15.

The future of A:M won't be the same without you.

I'm interested in "hair" - if I can play with hair a lot faster than in version 11 then I'll upgrade - I liked the hair by patch approach but it also meant 4 hair handles for every single patch of hair. In some characters thats great, only a few handles but on others it was a nightmare.

All in all thanks, I enjoyed looking at the upgrades available - I think I will upgrade and get the plug-ins like the 3D painter module. I'll start saving my pennies as the echange rate looks really good £ vs $...

Thanks for the input guys.