Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

heay detail radial engine

I have been wanting to do an engine in too much detail for a while now, and there was a tossup between radial, rotary (not Wankel), or steam. and radial won out.

I fear the patch count will make using it for an aircraft unlikely, barring an upgrade in my video card. I tried using a displacement maps for the fins but the render times went from the current less than 1s to close to around twenty seconds.

So far I am mostly done with one cylinder, it still needs spark plugs, and I might want to add an emitter plate for the exhaust.

post-3432-1173064725_thumb.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My advice. Stop now and reduce splines - you've got way too many CP's than you actually need (like 3 times the number) You will be unlikely to finish the model at this rate. (ie your cylinder head only needs 4 CP's per ring spline. In fact all your cylindrical parts only need 4 CPs per ring spline....)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Now with a color render, with some reflective properties. I haven't decided what to do with this thing, I thought I might put it on a maintenance stand next to a work bench. or put it on the front of some simple WWI fighter.

post-3432-1174246325_thumb.jpg

Where the light hits it looks maybe a bit smooth, and the texture is lost. Without knowing anything about it, is this maybe a case for a reflectivity map?

I was thinking about putting in machining marks on that part, but I am unsure whether to just use a bump map, or combine it with a reflective map. Many of the parts are machined from billet Aluminum so they should have a pretty smooth finish. Once I do that I would love to figure out a way to dirty it up and make it look used.

• 2 weeks later...