Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

1st attempt of model

Muff

1.jpg2.jpg

Heres the model zipped - instead of posting vague pics of splines.

[And I owe you an appology "Mage" because it seemed like you were gripe-ing, (below reply), when it turns out you werent.]

h2.zip

Well, I was trying to spline off a picture of the Hunter Model. Obviously its gunna take alot more work and understanding. Not much to work with other than a side view as a reference. The Hunter model has such a minimal amout of splines, yet its cleverly done using bias tweaks. And plus theres only a couple hooks, which are hard to figure where they are splined off of? I tried to take snapshots off the Hunter videos of the wireframes, but the quality only gives minimal help. Took all day to do just this crappy thing - mainly using a single reference photo. But if anything, I do like the way the BACK-anatomy of this model came out (not the "BACK" picture).. Her ([Edited Word] - behind) has got to go though. Or it needs ([Edited Word] - touch-ups) for some serious shape ;) ...My hands are tired... Im tired... uggghhh.. Im gunna try YVES's model next, using the pictures available from a WIP thread (fellow hashers directed me to it from the "off topic" section of my post). Im just determined to learn how to model such types of things. So if more than one person thinks they can do something more with this model, Ill throw it up here, to do what ever with, as desired?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This being your first attempt, this is really good. There's nothing to be discouraged about here. Ok, her butt could use some padding, but her back looks fantastic! And, yes, as Heath pointed out, her nipples do scare me too ;). This really is an excellent first stab. Keep at it and I think you will have a really beautiful model to show off.

- Michael

[To satisfy any displeasure, I edited the pictures for reasons misunderstood by myself, without properly addressing the nature of the content in these forums.... I will make note to the nudity issue for any further posting should unappropriate skin areas which are revealing be involved.]

[This has been re-edited because of my misunderstanding on a reply, out of respect for the one that replied.]

*Main Reply*

Umm, because there is no implied nudity - just a human form. No textures, no detail (notice no "nipples").

i wasn't saying that i don't approve of it(like it matters) you can take the censors off, i just think for the younger users you should have that on there, i have no problem with it really. being able to model a female figure shows great skill in my eyes. with those censors we can be of any help....also i know a great web site with many reference images to use but i for got the site i'll try and find it.

and f.y.i. what i have in my sig. is basically nothing...its just something i have to match my name...why do people always take it seriously?...

Every biological book shows more than what you see here... and dont let us talk about MTV...

So I think that noone gets harmed if he sees that...

But to be sure, just edit the topic and say "nudity" in it... the censors just dont help us to see, if she is modelled well... even if it doesnt make a real big difference...

Thats something I wont ever understand because I am a European, but I just do it for my posts...

*fuchur*

It's handy to know, that I can post a nude 3d model with a (WARNING NUDITY) tagged to the heading... I built a female model myself, which I'm currently smartskinning. But I was hesitant to post any pictures, as I wasn't quite sure how to do it without raising a few eyebrows.

Anyway... I would love to see the model without the censor stickers on it, as well as a few pictures of the mesh. As I'd love to see how you tackled the building of the model, as there's a few ways of going about it. The real talented people just diving in headfirst, me... I like to keep fiddling with the model until it starts resembling what I want. :o:D

I did notice the unproportionate body, but this took like ALL day just to do. Its definately not what I wanted to accomplish. I wanted to get the EXACT splining of Hunter pic. But after awhile I just wanted to get it done, for the most part. But the model is up for any use imaginable. Id like to see a better reworked model in proportion. The only thing I request is that I get a copy of any derivitive work for my own plesure. I mean, if someone could spline it better - Id sure like to see how its properly done. I dont know how many people come across this problem (at least it seems like a problem), where you end up with 5-point patches right at the bottom of the butt crack where it just starts to tuck under? Maybe this is a common technique for these 5-point patches or maybe Im just not running a HOOK somewhere to make it a 4-pointer? And the "censor" things in no way hides any real depiction of the model - there are no nipples for instance; and the but is just flat and boring. And I do have alot of reference images (actually as of today I dug them out of my archives). Im about ready to get back to it using different sources to experiment. This particular model, I used an 8 section lathe for the breasts like the Hunter model uses and from there I just started roughing in and pushing splines around. But that was my starting point. THats why I think alot of the model is unproportionate because of how large the breasts are. Thats what I get for trying to defy logic and reallity :rolleyes: Id like to see others depictions of their efforts to re-create the Hunter model from the pics available in the off-topic section, and to see others share their work like myself no matter how un-comparable it is with the real thing. Share in the revolution! Give and be given! Im thinking Hash outa have a section just for posting models because waiting (though its worth it), for a yearly collection is a long time. I know Hash has an ftp, but its just as quick to post them on the forum. It may take up space, but so does the off-topic section (which is cool), in which I spent wasteless time on my rants of bordom. Im always guessing on the possibilities of nothing for something? Hmmmm.....

Yes, I did mess with her. It was totally platonic, I swear! But for some reason, after going through the whole .OBJ conversion thing from other progs - Im just not satisfied with using other models. I feel like Im just not learning anything that way? Though I think its fine to do because other models are just so darn cool. Lambrina is a finely crafted model, but I need the satisfaction of something my own..you know? I do give my opinion to newbies to work off other models to see how splines run throughout the body for know-how understanding; but Ive done that and now I want to put to use what Ive come to understand as far as splines. Something that I know I started from scratch based on what Ive seen done. So that I can just pick up and begin a new endeavor for my personal know-how of how and where things relate when making a model? But Ive learned alot from studying others models. Otherwise Id still be making stick/tube figures. Im just on a campaign in my mind at this point to go it alone with what Ive seen done already and make decisions based on memory. The one thing that I really have to come to understanding is Bias tweaks. To me thats where shape really starts to come alive. But thats after I know how splines run throughout a form.

so you spent a whole day, and aren't totally happy with the results? ' ' )

my contribution to the cause was this lovely pair. http://www.hash.com/stills/displayimage.php?pos=-991

they can be found in the first a:m extras disc... not sure how you get one.

they represent about 8 years of working with the program, and i'm not quite happy with 'em either.

-jon

The one thing that I really have to come to understanding is Bias tweaks. To me thats where shape really starts to come alive. But thats after I know how splines run throughout a form.

And I would add: But that after you know which form you need to reproduce.

Take that for what you think it is worth but IMO, you first need to learn the anatomy. I don't mean learning the bones names and muscle names etc. I mean the human form. How it is built. Why it looks the way it looks and why it moves the way it moves. If you don't have a basic understanding of the human anatomy, then figuring out how to layout splines is going to be very difficult.

I totally agree with ypoissant on figureing out the anatomy, as I have been tweaking my first female figure since christmas to move better for what I want her to do. 2 Weeks alone trying to get her legs and hips to move right, though I *think* I got quite a bit closer today then I have been in a while.

My advice: Right now, focus on making her look as good as you want her to look, and tweak her mesh later to fix how she works. Even though to do that you might need to remake a good portion of your girl's mesh. Of course that means you can make the mesh more efficient at the same time.

On my model, I had to re-create her rib cage, breasts, hips, and shoulders from my original mesh simply to get things moving correctly. And when she is ready for mass-production (read: making her into my other characters) all this work getting it right will be so worth it. Also I've easily cut 10% of the polys out of her original mesh.

First off, thanks for anyones input. I dont want to be shielded from any criticism as far as what I need to know or understand. A child scribbles on paper and anyone tells them thats sooooo good. Im beyond that as an adult. I need to be corrected in order to understand. I read what you said "vpoissant" and at first I thought, well thats a rather vague input? But seeing how you know what your talking about from your works, I gave more thought. Of course anatomy crossed my mind, but after review of the meaning behind your response, Im really surprised by how mechanical I am in my approach rather than the anatomical approach. Example: cyclinders=breasts, tubes=arms, flat=back etc. Its stupid on my part, but logical in all common training. So thanks for getting me to think harder about what Im doing. And my thanks goes to anyone who gives me input.

Im really surprised by how mechanical I am in my approach rather than the anatomical approach. Example: cyclinders=breasts, tubes=arms, flat=back etc. Its stupid on my part, but logical in all common training.

This is not stupid. This is just the iconic memory kicking in. Anybody without some kind of anatomical training will draw or model in a kind of iconic way. For instance, a tube is an iconic representation for the arms and legs.

One of the tools to help defeat the iconic memory is to develop a very good sense of observation and draw and model from what you really see instead of from your iconic representation of the human form. You will naturally develop your sense of observation as you get feedback on your model, self-critique what you did, figure what could be wrong, look for ways to improve, modify or start over, etc. But this takes time. Lot of time. And studying anatomy is just a way to help accelerate this process. It hones your sense of observation by pointing at some particular aspect of the human form that needs special study.