Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

new robot WIP

well guys...I've decided to add another character to the scope bot crew (that one robot who right now is frozen in front of the plank it just rolled over)

This time, I'm actually using modeling techniques (making holes, 5 pt. patches, Porcelain, spline continuity, hooks, etc.)

Check it out so far! I'm still trying to figure out with the style of the legs, arms and head will be. I want them to be somewhat related to the look of the scope bot. here it is so far

post-3941-1141497871_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks! I was thinking that the scope bot might by this guy's "little buddy" or something. Because this guy will be able to talk and will have arms and stuff. His buddy will be one of those silent ones who isn't able to talk (like in all cute relationships)

I vaguely remember, in some movie, somwhere, a long time ago, there was this robot who has a friend that chirps and squeaks for speech... the movie was about wars and stars... was it wars of the stars?...something like that... the robots had names made of letters & numbers....something like that...can't remember ;)

Anyway, here's an idea, how about a monocular instead of binocular for his eye/head? And don't make it dead in the center, put it to one side of the head, kinda emphasize the 'off-beat' nature of this silent friend :lol:

haha heck no I'm not. You're talking about Star Trek! lol

no..I really know..it's Star Wars, silly!

well made some more progress. I think I'm giving it the right look in similarity with the other bot. The eye and brow make the two look the same. I'm still trying to figure out the arm design

post-3941-1141535116_thumb.jpg

I just love the simplicity of your design Jam.

For the arms, how about a ball in that socket & out of the ball comes the arm which looks like the clamp-on/table lamp (ala Pixar's lamp)?

I was already planning a ball in that socket! You read my mind.

However, I want fingers this time. I already have a good picture of what they're gonna look like. I'm just wondering what the actual style of the arm will be.

I'm also thinking of adding something else to the head to take away from the "a lot of space on that thing" feeling

I've been trying to build a decent looking robot for a long time. Never got the look I wanted. Now you've come up with just the concept I had deep in my mind but couldn't bring out. Very Nice. I like it. Keep post ing your progress.

ED

Jam,

This robot model is so cool. I realy like the clean and relatively simple lines you have brought into this model..yet effectively and convincely present us a cool mech look. Great job......please continue posting your works as I am sure you will be inspirational to a lot of folks including me who are interested in modeling mechs and robot type models.

:D

..Feedback?

Looks great.

Minor nitpicks: looks like dents just in front of the shoulder sockets; pretty sure you can eliminate those with some tweaking, or if they are intentional you may want to consider exagerrating a bit more.

It would be nice to see more details at the wrist as you have in the elbox/shoulder joints, instead of the tube-in-a-tube (unless, of course, this is also intentional).

I'm thinking this guy will be capable of great expression.. hurry up and finish him up, willya?! :D

gonzo,

the dents are from 5 pt. patches. they are not intentional. However, I've tried out porcelain on the model and it elimantes the creasing, so it's all fine. Just didn't wanna take the time to apply it for a quick screen shot.

I'm still thinking about adding more detail to the arms, as there isn't much on the rest of the body...maybe I'll add a panel or something to the forearm just to give it a bit more detail. As you know, my models are mainly for animation practice, but also a bit of bling. That's why I don't put much detail into must of my models (once in awhile though, I get really detailed).

I've been really busy with school and stuff, so I haven't had a chance to work on the model. Maybe in a few minutes I'll just do a little something and post it up.

bye

This robot is shaping up. The only thing I see that I would like to se different is the rings where the legs would be. I think they might look a bit cleaner if the splines that make up the hole were a continuous spline. I'm liking this robot. Keep it up!

Look's like it's showing. I wasn't sure you were going with the ball shaped joints like the shoulder's but you did. Couple strokes of the Y key and the k and reattaching and you should have it whipped. Looking good!

I'm stuck on the leg design....can't figure out the right look...should I have it like the arms, except the thigh is like \ / instead of a perfect cylinder?

Make a few models of the legs, attach them, then post the picture so we can all give you input as to which one gets the most votes :)