Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toy Box

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice render!

From what I recall... Yves mentioned that highly saturated "unreal" colors don't render "realistically"... mainly the cube and the logo on the hockey puck.

I could be wrong on that... but they look unnaturally "bright" in the setting.

p.s. The cube puzzle seems fine to me... the "second" red yellow combo is red white... looks slightly yellow from the warm lighting.

I really should try radiosity some day... I have long render times already... and I am getting older...

Vernon "!" Zehr

pretty good radiosity... however, the back wall seems to be very noisy. Try raising the sample area and jittering. Make sure you fallow the sample area calculatior to the decimal. lol. It can start to look pretty weird if you just start guessin on it. Pretty good models.

Thanks Dan, I used the calculator, but did nothing about Jitter (didn't think about that).

And Vern's comment about saturation is correct. I'll Give it another shot.

Thanks to both both for the tips.

Ed

To answer, your question, The render time was only 22 minutes, because I kept the model really small, and there really isn't much detail in any of the models. And I never could solve Rubic.

Ed

The render time was only 22 minutes, because I kept the model really small, and there really isn't much detail in any of the models.

Wow! Is that the answer? Nanoradiosity!

I love the results that people have been getting with radiosity but I have been put off experimenting with it because of the long render times for each test render. If you can shrink render times to 22 minutes for an image with this many components then I am going to have to give it another go sometime. Soon, I hope. You could render 2 seconds of animation in one day from a single machine with render times like that!

What are the trade-offs when using very small models instead of large models?

Nice results! Thanks for posting.

The render time was only 22 minutes, because I kept the model really small, and there really isn't much detail in any of the models.

Wow! Is that the answer? Nanoradiosity!

I love the results that people have been getting with radiosity but I have been put off experimenting with it because of the long render times for each test render. If you can shrink render times to 22 minutes for an image with this many components then I am going to have to give it another go sometime. Soon, I hope.

What are the trade-offs when using very small models instead of large models?

Nice results! Thanks for posting.

Oops. 22 Minutes is wrong. That was the timing on an early test. The one seen above was about 48 minutes. Sorry.

The only tradeoffs are placing the camera in a very small box. In this case I used an open ended box, similar to the Cornell box in Yve's Tutorial. But instead of a light array at the top, I used a single bulb with shadow rays set to 3. I'm still trying to figure out how to reduce the color saturation.

post-2055-1131116921_thumb.jpg

Nice scene and render. It feels real. As Vern mentioned, you have several places with pure saturated colors. Those immediately jums at the eye and give away the CG nature of the image. Finding a good balance might be tough. Take a look in the "Lego" thread in the Radiosity forum where I posted a few normally saturated colors RGB values.

FYI: The size of the models and the scene have nothing to do with render time. What influences render time is the number of lights in a scene, and for radiosity: the number of photons and the number of photon samples and the number of final gathering samples.

Yves:

Without sounding patronizing, I really want to say Merci Beaucoup for all you contribute. Fellows like you and many others on this forum are just terrific. What we learn from you and other pros, is like a university course.

I've been glued to your Tutorials (Not just Radiosity) and can't get enough of them. Next month I'll be 70 years old, and AM and this forum are a great outlet for me.

Good look to you, thanks for your tips, and thank to all the others who contribute so much.

Ed

I really want to say Merci Beaucoup for all you contribute.

Ed,

Thank you. Really, when I come on the forum and see users producing those nice renders with A:M radiosity, like you did, this is enough to make my whole day. Keep up the good work.

I tried to put bones in the Cube, but I'm not advanced enough to figure out how to make it work. As Dhar says It would make a great tutorial. The rigging to me would be quite complicated. I'm redoing the Cube to resolve the saturation and the box to make it more realistic.

Ed

I think I've made some headway on the toy box. I built a new box and tried to decrease the saturation on some of the colors. The would grain is a resiult of one of Yves tutorials as well as the tutes on radiosity. The truck edges are too smooth but I'll keep working on it.

Ed

post-2055-1131295614_thumb.jpg

Nice one there Ed, I could "almost" reach out and touch it.....

And 70...you are an inspiration, Whenever I start feeling I'm to old for this sort of activity (A:M that is) , Ill remember ole (not old) Ed ,smile and keep Hashing on...

Look forward to more...

Take care,

Michael

Yeah, it's really looking nice. Now, on to the part that interests me ;)

The cube looks cool, but there could be a bit more of a raised edge on the stickers. Although you could have one of the older ones with flatter cornery stickers. I've tried to rig the cube in my avatar– wanted to make an animation of it solving. No could do. I think the only way to do it would be to set something up where it turned the points in an area, not specific points. If we get enough interest we should start a new topic on this... I have some ideas. It involves turning constraints on and off, could that be part of a pose slider? Sorry to go off topic, but as you may have noticed, It's something of an obsession with me. You can find some great solving tips at www.speedcubing.com. Oh yeah, and the render looks great. I still haven't touched radiosity or advanced lighting. *shivers*

-Zev

You're right about the Cube, Zev. As you know, on a real cube the colors are pasted on and the colored labels are rounded on the corner. I've seen you're postings and have been curious about the Cube too. The first time I tried to rig a cube I immediately saw how complications can arise. I'm simply not good enough yet to attempt such a rig.

Ed