sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Warehouse

Here's a warehouse I began working on that was going to be used for a background in a 3d game. Turned out they decided to go a different direction so I didn't take it much further. But I rendered it out.

I bought Emilio's Sweeper plugin, and I used it here to make the walkway, railings, zig zag beam on ceiling and iron beams. It worked really well, very pleased with that!

Funny thing, whenever I tried rendering this with multipass I got horrible renders. Turning it off, it came out much much better. Not sure if this has to do with volumetrics on the lights or what. C&C welcome.

Tom

post-8-1116472523.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks - but I should have mentioned the boxes are not mine! :) They are free content on the Hash CD. Everything else is mine though. I took some writing off the sides of the boxes (fragile and so forth) so they would be plain.

Nice - really nice

but not photorealistic to 100 percent - it is hard to get that photorealism - I believe in some Photoshopping if you will get more near the 100 - perhaps it is the only solution - or Mr Poissant perhaps has the solution?

And if I were you - :D - I would have something in the foreground to get more depth in the image.

but still nice!

C&C

I like the feel of the warehouse. It's close to accurate (I work in such a "hole" on occasion)... yours is brighter than my real thing.

I beams look a bit more like they have the patina of old copper rather than rusty steel. (could be my monitor).

Boxes are nice. Wherever they came from. They could use some age, too. (In our warehouse we found old WWII Civil Defense tins)

5gal tin bucket lined to hold potable water doubles as a latrine

Some of the boxes had lemondrops, crackers, aspirin and some first aid stuff

As soon as I upgrade I'm gonna get Sweeper...

I like your warehouse! More modern than what I work in!

Charlie

Thanks guys. Not supposed to be photorealistic at all. It was only going to give some depth to some game screens. The i-beams up top are not even textured at all. The I beam texture is aged iron from the materials forum. It probably could use some tweaking. Again, boxes are from the hash CD. Maybe someday I'll go back in and add some of those touches though - good suggestions.

Guest jandals
Funny thing, whenever I tried rendering this with multipass I got horrible renders. Turning it off, it came out much much better. Not sure if this has to do with volumetrics on the lights or what. C&C welcome.

I had an issue with multipass yesterday. Well, it's not really an issue I just haven't figured out what good settings would be. I had a bulb light that rendered poorly with multipass and/or multiple rays turned on. I'd get banded prenumbras at a shadows edge and I wold have had to add lots of passes and lots of rays to correct.

The other lights in my scene didn't cause any trouble (even the volumetric light). I think it may be the width of the bulb that gave me trouble.

I like the image. It expresses "industrial gloom" but the boxes are really bright and distracting. It's hard to look at anything else. Other than the boxes there's a great feeling of warehouse-grunge.

Ok, I'm not really writing anything ludcid so I'll end the rambling now.

Rhett

That's a good point about the boxes, actually. The lights here are Kleig lights and I had similar problems. Each slat on the boxes is a decal, so to weather the boxes would have meant changing all the decals which I was not up for at the time (nor was it really needed at the time). But it makes sense.

• Admin

Tom,

I like it. Very moody warehouse.

I've gotta ask... if you aren't going to be using it in the game... would you consider donating it to the Extra CD? The CD is about to get locked down and I think it would make a great addition.

I hadda at least ask. ;)