Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

thom tries on a v12 clothsim shirt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The collision tolerance is the default I basically just turned off selfcollide and set stretch type to spring. I'm just trying to feel my way through the parameters.

This posting I lengthened the sleeves and trying bending the arm more. I should note that the shirt is assigned to the neck bone and I used the attach group (see flag tut) as the neck hole and the top of the holes where the sleeves start in the armpit area.

I will adjust the collision tolerance tomorrow night and get the sleeves tighter.

shirtthom_03.mov

Looks pretty cool! I'll let you experts work out the settings to get it to rest properly on his shoulders.

The fabric reminds me of the Firesign Theatre's radio show "The Further Adventures of Nick Danger" ...All those curves showing through that flimsy burnouse!

Scott

Thanks for the comments. I'll hopefully be posting more versions tonight. As far as settling time for these examples scroll back to the first frame this is the 'cloth" as a normal patch the second frame it goes to the simcloth and its on from there. The last sleeve example shows the cuffs ballooning out.

As for features I have not really played with that would be mostly rigging and lighting and my modeling skills are the reason I play with the rest :o

I think for most uses of sim cloth the settings will have to be made custom to the actual use. If anyone else is playing with this I found actually learned from an earlier posting that increasing the fps helps the simulation causing it to happen in smaller steps I have been using at least 60 and lately 90 fps. I wonder if this would help the older regular cloth ? Darn another thing to play with !

Edit:

attaching a picture of how simcloth appears while simulating.I also enchance the screen grab in PS to show the density (setting 16)

simcloth16.jpg

If anyone else is playing with this I found actually learned from an earlier posting that increasing the fps helps the simulation causing it to happen in smaller steps I have been using at least 60 and lately 90 fps.

Actually, you're better off increasing the number of sub-steps (in the Chor properties) rather than the frame rate. The effect will be the same, but there will be far less data in the file. If you're doing 90 fps (for 30 fps normally, I assume), try doubling or tripling the sub-steps instead.

Do you have any "attached" groups in your project?

okay here is the next sample with collision tolerance reduced from 3 to 1 ..I also lowered the shirt on thom a little.. Yes there is an attached group I mentioned it above its the neck ring and the top of the sleeve ring by the armpits. I'll try the substep idea as well but it really isn't bad otherwise

shirtthom_04.mov

With simcloth if the action is too fast or sudden the simulation stops. So if you are doing an action at 30 frames per sec the parts of the action is spread over 30 frames. By changing the rate at the top of the PWS to 90 fps the action is spread over 90 frames and the simulation moves is smaller steps. It was suggested that that same effect could be to increase the sub steps I haven't tried that. Now this is just for the simulation you can go back to 30 fps when rendering but I have left it the same for the postings I've made and with sorenson 3 compression the file size has been for most has been small

the question on attach groups

here is a picture showing the attach group

if you are wondering what that is review the clothsim tuts especially the flag

attached.gif

okay fps down to 30 sub steps up to 32 changed bendtype to springs. Looks as if the substep does the same think to help ..oh also lengthen the sleeves one extrusion

when do you what the project posted ?

by the way if anyone else has tips or if I'm stating something incorrect please step in remember I'm just a tinkerer not an expert

shirtthom_05.mov