Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character

Heres a new character that I am working on.

The design is loosely based on Mark Allens drawing for his first character (Mark, since your rotos provided the inspiration you can have a copy of this head model if you wish - just drop me a line). I've been following along Anzovins Modelling a Head tute (just got past the eye and mouth parts - some good lessons there)

NewHead0.jpg

NewHead1.jpg

This character will be a seargent (Space Marine) that may be used in the next image contest and June animation contest. I've got a lot of dirtying up to do :D

As always, comments welcome.

Cheers

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, David, very cool! He's got a lot of personality already!

My only crit I see is the brow bone that encircles each eye should come farther out than each eye it's supposed to protect. The areas under the brows recede too much into the head right now.

Please keep showing your progress!

Jim

I agree. The width of the head seems right, so it might just be a matter of detailing the bone. Also, I'm sure I saw one or two splines around the eye that weren't necessary at both ends....hooks could be used.

Thanks Guys,

Just in case it wasn't obvious - I'm doing a character here as opposed to a realistic model. I agree that the brow looks a little odd and will fix that. The extra splines will stay, however, at least until I decide how 'weathered' and wrinkled I want his face to be. I'm intending some closeups so the wrinkles/creases will need to be geometry.

Cheers

Thanks Guys,

Just in case it wasn't obvious - I'm doing a character here as opposed to a realistic model. I agree that the brow looks a little odd and will fix that.  The extra splines will stay, however, at least until I decide how 'weathered' and wrinkled I want his face to be.  I'm intending some closeups so the wrinkles/creases will need to be geometry.

Cheers

Great picture,

That looks really sharp. I love the subtle lips. And you've avoided the "cold stare" that is so prominent in 3D character models. Just really nice.

I would like to see more, perhaps a profile. I do agree with a previous post that the brow should probably be lowered, but then again, faces come in all sorts of shapes, that's to say, if you saw someone in real life with a brow like that you'd be like, "he's got a funny brow...." It's more aethstetic than anything.

~Dan

Ooooppps. I should point out that the eyes are "Ubereyes" by Colin (William) Freeman - my bad - I should know better by now to plug those who's bits I use :huh:

This is the first time I have shown this character (aside from a 1/2 face view in Marks Allens 1st character thread)

Side Views:

NewHead2.jpg

NewHead4.jpg

Cheers

I hope I'm not jumping on to this thread too late, but . . .

you've avoided the "cold stare" that is so prominent in 3D character models. Just really nice.

I totally agree and am impressed by this. Can you elaborate on how you got this nice "warm" facial look? I'm striving to have this in my own models.

"Ubereyes" by Colin (William) Freeman

Where can I find out about these "Ubereyes"?