Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Forklift in Shop

Gene

Hey Gang,

After seeing all the Awesome stuff that Yves started on his Radiosity threads, I decided to mess around with a scene that I am working on.

This is just the beginning, playing with the settings. I am certain that if I spend more time, I can get a better effect.

I have 8 lights setup as Yves suggested (Cone Angle 180 degrees, 100% Width Softness)

One exception is that the falloff doesn't touch any of the objects in the scene, except for the walls. I tried to move the lights closer together, but then the light was too concentrated in one spot. Should I be using more lights with smaller falloff??

I don't like the fact that the 55 gallon drums are dark and so is the side of the forklift facing the viewer.

Anyway, I hope to post more as it gets better...Please, Please, Please offer any suggestions you can think of to make this look better.

Thanks,

Eugene

AccidentTest_001.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys...yes I know about the "dirty" look. I usually get ahead of myself when I start putting stuff like this together and finish up the details a bit later.

Here is a very short animation of the forklift hitting the 55 gallon drums...Please note that I did something wrong on the very first frame and the forklift is into the floor! Just ignore that.

I had to stop the render because there was another 17 hrs to go and I had the scene rendering for about 20 hours already...gotta love that radiosity!

Anyway...I've attached the animation, so please let me know what you think so far.

Cheers,

Eugene

ShopFloor_006.mov

Maybe one of you could give me some insight...I would like to know if it's ok to add a keylight in this scene when I am using radiosity. I would like to lighten up the areas that are dark. If I add the keylight, does it take away from the radiosity?

For example, you can't make out the label on the drum...it's one of the symbols for a hazardous material.

Oh yeah...it's in autopilot for now, but maybe I could Thom or keekat as the driver!

Thanks

E

Hey Gene -

Nice render! You can indeed add a key light but remember that it will contribute to the entire scene. I was going to suggest bouncing some light off of the wall that is behind the camera to lighten up the front side details. (of course, I am guessing and by no means the expert) Perhaps Yves will chime in.

Bill

only problems i see are at the end. 1. the pallets the barrels are sitting on moves. not to sure that it would. it could possiblly sift some what. 2. because you hit the corner barrel, not only is the one to its side effected, but the back barrels should also be somewhat effected. another minor thing would be if the barrels were full it would cause the fork lift to bounch or sake a little bit.

I was thinking that if the drums were heavy enough that the palette on the floor would probably move, but you are right...I should animate the palette on the forklift as well!!

Thanks,

Eugene

(Nobody was hurt in this animation)

There are so many things happening on the forum that I completely missed that topic.

Here is a few things I would do for your scene:

- One way to increase the illumination facing the viewer would be to set your wall, behind the viewer, to white. This will contribute much more light on the front facing surfaces. Since this wall is not visible anyway, there should be no problem in cheating this way.

- Increasing the max bounces should help in distributing illumination more evenly and thus more on the facing surfaces too.

- I would certainly modify the colors on the drums a little. Increase the constrats. Lighten and desaturate the red and darken the logo. The red, in particular pops out as unnatural because too saturated IMO.