Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Daleks in the hizzouse

Well, Daleks outside the house, at any rate.

Still have a lot of texturing work to do, but I thought I'd throw this up there for commentary, especially from other Dr. Who fans about how I can improve the shape. The plunger arm does extend, though I forgot to show it here.

Click on the image for a much larger version.

DalekBeautyShot-small.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm unsure why daleks are so popular with the "Whoers", I never got into it. But it looks just like them! Nice modeling. In the image it looks like the one on the right is in the shade, but I suspect he's just a different colour. I also suspect many on this forum won't know who they are. ;)

In the image it looks like the one on the right is in the shade, but I suspect he's just a different colour.

Yes, they're color schemes from two different eras. The one on the left is an earlier model, circa 1966, and the one on the right is from an episode broadcast in 1975.

Though the dome lights are the wrong shape for the one on the left; I'll have to fix that.

I also suspect many on this forum won't know who they are. ;)

THEN THEY WILL BE EX-TER-MI-NA-TED!

I also suspect many on this forum won't know who they are. ;)

Sure we do! :D

The dalek on the left is called Fred and the one on the right is Steve, his half cousin!

Seriously though, great work Jeff.

I agree with Ken about the one on the right looking as if he is in shade but I'm sure thats just the different textures.

The shape and scale look good. They varied throughout the series so I guess there's no definative shape and size.

Anyway I'm going to hide behind the sofa! :(

See you. ;)

obviously, their names are 'salt' and 'pepper'. ' ' )

excellent models! they already look almost photoreal as they are.

if your textures are half as good as they've been before, you can send that image to the bbc!

-jon

--

There was once a friend who ran a Role-Playing game of 'Paranoia'. In the game, one day when all the clones were looking for someplace to eat breakfast, they ran across these moving salt & pepper shakers with sunglasses, bandoliers, sombreros and cheesy handle-bar mustaches on the end off these long plungers.

Clone 1= "Hey, don't these guys look like Daleks?"

Mexican Salt Shaker= "NO, SENIOR. WE ARE TOURISTS FROM MEXICO."

Clone 2="Man these guys really do look like Daleks."

Mexican Pepper Shaker= "NO, SENIOR. WE REALLY ARE TOURISTS FROM MEXICO."

Clone 3= "Yeah, they sound like Daleks, too."

Mexican Salt and Pepper Shakers in unison="OUR COVER IS BLOWN. EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMANATE!!"

Later that day (after everyone was re-cloned):

Clone 4(who had come in late)="Hey, don't those guys across the street in the sombreros look like Daleks?"

Clone 1,2 & 3(replacements)="shush!"

Mexican Salt and Pepper Shakers in unison="OUR COVER IS BLOWN. EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMANATE!!"

Thus I learned the hard way never to be in a 'Paranoia' campaign with a British Sci-fi nut. Blasted Daleks harassed us for months (and many clones).

--

Anyway, I think your shadow problem comes from the fact that the darker one wants to blend in with the shadow of the house. You might want to switch the two and let the house's dark pop against the light Dalek and visa versa.

My two cents, anyway.

• Admin
Anyway, I think your shadow problem comes from the fact that the darker one wants to blend in with the shadow of the house. You might want to switch the two and let the house's dark pop against the light Dalek and visa versa.

What she said! :)

This makes me want to watch an episode right now.

Lookin' Good!

Well, well, well - Daleks! I haven't seen a Dalek in years. They look good and remind me of my childhood, I loved Dr Who. However, I always thought the Daleks were silly how could a machine that had a toilet plunger for it arm and unable to climb stairs terrorise the Galaxy?

But they were sinister and evil looking. The original film with Peter Cushing was great and almost believable. Perhaps you might want to try modernising a Dalek to make it seem more believable that would be an interesting challenge.

Anyway, I think the lights on their heads need changing. Not all of them had a toilet plunger either, some had pincers. Might be an idea to add some dirt maps to them also to make em look like they have been in the wars.

I look forward to see how they progress.

Very good idea, thanks!

Anyway, I think the lights on their heads need changing. Not all of them had a toilet plunger either, some had pincers. Might be an idea to add some dirt maps to them also to make em look like they have been in the wars.

As I said, I've got a lot of texturing work to do. The BBC just layered each paint job over the previous one, not bothering to fill in dings and chipped paint, so I'll be using a lot of different maps for the textures.

There were four different light-dome shapes for the head (not including the ridiculous jelly jars they used on the Supreme Dalek in one episode). I'm going to be putting all of the different Dalek types into the same model, using pose sliders to change the color schemes, hardware variants, and so forth.

There was also a Dalek with a sieve instead of a plunger (I guess even Daleks need to clean their pools sometimes). I'm not sure if I'll be doing that one.

Oh yeah! There are converted people inside those aren't there....I think. Kind of like "The Borg" concept.

Well, they used to be people, but were mutated into giant slugs by an evil scientist. So I guess the toilet plunger was a step up from their regular bodies. :)

What about DAVROS? Will they be fighting the Cybormen? I remember, there was a war between them... or they had joined forces at some point. Doesn't matter, they both loathed the Doctor.

You could use a strong rim light, on them to define the dark blended edges.

Edited by entity

A little update, with a lighter Dalek in the foreground as smudge suggested:

WIP200410192239-small.jpg

Still haven't done much texturing on them; I've been working on something else as well. Also, I didn't use a rim light, but changed from a hemispherical skylight into a spherical one, to simulate some "bounce" from the grass. The older Dalek's head lamps are now the right shape for his 1960s paint job.

And just for grins, a quick test of the "Dalek Version" pose slider (twelve of the seventeen positions available so far):

WIP200410192240-small.jpg

Click either image for a larger version.

Looks even better with the position change.

Are you planning an animation involving daleks?

The BBC are making Doctor Who in animation (Richard E Grant voices the doctor) due out any time soon and a new live action Doctor Who is due out next year.

It's unclear if the daleks will appear as the late Terry Nation held copyright on the name and BBC hold copyright on the actual dalek.

It's unclear if the daleks will appear as the late Terry Nation held copyright on the name and BBC hold copyright on the actual dalek.

Actually, that's all cleared up now (part of the reason for the previously mentioned Sun article). There will be Daleks with the new Dr. Who. And let's be honest, you can't really have Dr. Who without them. It'd be like trying to do the Dr. without the Tardis.... (When it absolutely, positively has to be there yesterday).

Godfrey, I showed the image to my fiancée and he said "That looks too disturbingly good. No BBC Sci-fi should ever look that real."

I think the position change helped a lot. Yeah! The chessboard is insane and our roommate, James, wants to know where to buy one.

So, you gonna do one of the new Daleks when they publicly release the design too?

IIRC--and I probably don't--weren't the headlamps more obviously transparent, like the kind of glass used for car tailights?

That's the weird thing. Something about the skylight rig is making the material more opaque than I intended it to be. Here's what it looks like in an action, with only a single light:

WIP200410202111.jpg

And this is what it looks like in the choreography:

WIP200410202110.jpg

I guess I'll have to do some tweaking in order to get it looking right.

Are you planning an animation involving daleks?

But of course! :)

I guess English law works much differently than American law...

i agree that you need to modernize those puppies once you're done with the past permuations.

Well, someone else has already done a bang-up job on that front. I honestly don't know how I could improve on his design.

Godfrey, I showed the image to my fiancée and he said "That looks too disturbingly good. No BBC Sci-fi should ever look that real."

Thank your fiancé for me! :)

The chessboard is insane and our roommate, James, wants to know where to buy one.

Well, if he finds one, ask him to let me know!

So, you gonna do one of the new Daleks when they publicly release the design too?

If I can find good enough reference for it, sure. I was lucky enough to find an excellent set of plans for the vintage Daleks here.

Looking forward to this one Jeff I'm a big Dalek fan! :D

There will be Daleks with the new Dr. Who.

Great news! I checked the links, wonder how they're going to give a Dalek legs without ruining the design?

IIRC--and I probably don't--weren't the headlamps more obviously transparent, like the kind of glass used for car tailights?

My guess is that they did use tail lights.

Keep posting Jeff! :D

PS Interestingly enough the spell check recognizes the word Dalek!

Maybe they do exist.... :(

That's the weird thing. Something about the skylight rig is making the material more opaque than I intended it to be.

I'm willing to bet it's because your skylight rig uses Z-buffered shadows, rather than ray-tracing. Z-buffer shadows don't handle true transparency--in simple terms, everything is opaque (though I think it's more complex than that).

Great news! I checked the links, wonder how they're going to give a Dalek legs without ruining the design?

Who needs legs in a world that can have teleportation!? :D But legs wouldn't be that hard to incorporate...there is alot of space for all sorts of gizmos to pop out of panels. :) How about a motorized grapple hook that drags them up those steps heh...they'd need some sort of bumper on the front haha.