Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Deliver to me your opinion, ...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me. To be honest, I don't vote in the animation contest as it takes abit of time to download and watch all the entries. I'd say voting numbers are quite low. Maybe you're animation is a matter of tast that didn't appeal to the voters? But technically it looks very good IMO. Yours was one of the animations I did download and I thought you would do well.

• Hash Fellow

HA! I think I voted for that one! I rather liked it. I appreciated it's brevity compared to others in the field. And while the motion wasn't perfect, it didn't have that stiff, robotic feel that we see too much of.

Reasons it may not have gotten more votes...(and I'm just guessing)...

-Even though it's an "animation" contest, i suspect many votes are cast based on visual complexity of the models and textures.

-It wasn't clearly on topic ("mad"). True of other entries as well.

-The camerawork (I'm really digging here) could have been clearer. For one thing, I think it needed a wider establishing shot at the beginning. We don't see the whole caveman until the sixth shot.

-Something else? We really have no idea what people are basing their vote on. They just vote.

I thought it was pretty good. Not great though.... I saw several places where things could have been added. I mean there were a lot of opportunities for exaggerated actions.... like ducking the first time he heard a shot at him and the shock.... you just did the bare minimum to get past that part, when you could have made a great "character take" with that.

Overall it was very well done and shows a lot of potential... in m opinion.

Good work

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Admin

It's a great little animation.

It's hard to tell why one would or would not vote for an entry in one of the animation contests as there are many factors to consider. Enumerating them is difficult when you consider the piece by itself rather than against the other entries which surely must have been good to beat out yours.

Some stabs at the possibilities: *Add Robcat's list to this!

- Did the other animations stick to the theme more closely?**

- Was there fluid (or even inspired) animation present?

- Did the animation have Wow factor (i.e. did the viewer say Wow... that's a winner!)?

- Was there a beginnning, a middle, and an ending to the story

- Was the viewer pulled into the story?

- Did the contest structure allow for too much chance and/or error in voting judgement (* Anyone remember chads? Same thing could apply here if someone accidentally voted for an animation they did not intend to vote for.)

- Etc.?

Your animation entry had characteristics of all of these with (hopefully) the exception of voting errors. Now, if we were to go back and look at the contest winners... I'd expect to see even more successful use of the aforementioned elements in their execution.

** This one may be what removed you from the running for many voters. Your character looks interesting, intrigued, suprised and more.... but.... not sure I ever see him "mad".

...For what it's worth. ;)

You had my vote on that one. But I'm an odd duck anyway (oooo, there's a character to model). :lol:

I thought it stuck to the theme better than others, but perhaps as was mentioned before, perhaps it lacked visual qualities that appeals to the others who voted. Or not.

Since I voted for it, perhaps I'm in no position really to offer the answers you seek. :blink:

I'd like to see that guy in another contest though. Make his presence known until he's a winner!!! :D

Can't "mad" be taken in the sense of "insane" or at least a little odd?

This animation was about a video-game generation of shadow boxing. How many awards did some of those great old comedic routines about shadow boxing garner?

I was laughing the whole way through!

Watch it again and consider it in the light of NOT angry but CRAZY! In that context, I don't think the caveman should have ducked on that first shot at him -- he was living his on little fantasy and didn't expect real-world interaction!

So I suppose if the charcter was meant to be mad in the crazy sense, we should have been given more visual clues (the crazed look, etc.) to clear up the confusion.

But I'm still going to go watch it some more and keep chuckling!

Watch it again and consider it in the light of NOT angry but CRAZY! In that context, I don't think the caveman should have ducked on that first shot at him -- he was living his on little fantasy and didn't expect real-world interaction!

OR he was so insane that he was didn't comprehend what just happened. Then the gun took control of his hand and started shooting. :D So many iterations.

OR he was so insane that he was didn't comprehend what just happened. Then the gun took control of his hand and started shooting. :D So many iterations.

That's rich! You could see his other hand coming over to grasp the gun hand, trying to regain control... at which point the inevitible struggle ensues as the gun hand begins to slowly, inexorably turn upwards towards his head...

Oh wait, that's been done before. Nevermind.

Thank you for your comments and your explanations.

My comprehension of the word "Mad" was not perfect, it will be necessary that I ask you for the real direction of nearest contest... :P

tobinjim and KenH you have very good ideas to improve my animates :D

Essence for me remains that this small animates can make you spend 17 good seconds. :)

While hoping to better do the next time (perhaps for the 10' S Club of July with Caveman).

Vote for me... :rolleyes:

I liked it, although it took me once or twice to figure out what was going on. Maybe adding something to help explain the plot more would have... um, helped? The music did a lot in that regard, but maybe if he had like a health bar in the corner of the screen like in mortal combat games, your approach would have come across better. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, because I am kind of dense when it comes to this sort of thing.

Very good though, very funny once I figured it out.

-Andrew

("Whoever laughs last thinks slowest")