Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Breakfast inspiration!

I just posted this at cg talk and figure I would post here too...

So after years of staring at the cereal box, I figured I'd try and put together a model of Tony the Tiger.

This is a movie clip of his head. Everythig is geometry, except his mouth, which is a texture map for the moment. I want to see if I can model his mouth in there while staying true to the illustrated version...

Anyhows, if you get a minute check it out.... for you sticklers on detail... I know I'm missing the nostrils at the moment!

I plan on modelling the whole body too, but I want to figure out the mouth before....

http://www.3dartz.com/WIPs/TTA.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

That looks quite promising.

Developing toon rendered characters that actually look like cartoons and not like 3D models with a black line around them has been a back burner interest of mine. I'm finding it's quite challenging, because 2D animators would often "cheat" the shape and placement of features from one angle to another, for maximum visual effect. *Especially* the mouths on 50s-60s era characters like Tony the Tiger.

Consider the almost Picasso-esque treatment of the mouth in this Fred Flintstone model sheet. :D Note also the traveling part in his hair.

It is very difficult to make a 3D mesh of a 2D character that is "on model" at every possible angle. But I know you can do it! ;)

That looks quite promising.

Developing toon rendered characters that actually look like cartoons and not like 3D models with a black line around them has been a back burner interest of mine. I'm finding it's quite challenging, because 2D animators would often "cheat" the shape and placement of features from one angle to another, for maximum visual effect. *Especially* the mouths on 50s-60s era characters like Tony the Tiger.

Consider the almost Picasso-esque treatment of the mouth in this Fred Flintstone model sheet. :D Note also the traveling part in his hair.

It is very difficult to make a 3D mesh of a 2D character that is "on model" at every possible angle. But I know you can do it! ;)

Hey Robert, thanks for the note. I completely agree with everything you wrote about the cheated angles in 2d. I've been thinking a lot about it too and I think I just came to the point that a compromise would work best. Certain major angles would have to stay true to the illustrated mouth, but at different minor angles, or rotation, the mouth just has to not jump out as totally wrong. Well it's all just hypothisizing on my end. But we'll see. I have some geometry for mouth in and I'm going to test it out.

I'll post more as it goes

Thanks for the Fred Flintsone reference, I might try and model him too!

Excellent job.

What kind of lighting did you use there? Looks wonderful.

Lookin' forward to the completed tiger. ;)

Hey Lance, thanks for the note. I used just regular 3 pt light set up. 1 Spot(key) and 2 suns(fill and rim).

The toonrender is what gives the model it's look.

I recently had some work that I used hash for and the clients models were toon in design. I spent sometime mixing a formula in the toon section and came out with this. As soon as I get an okay from them, I will post those too.

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Okay, I had sometime to try and start putting Tony'sbody together. I'm having a bit of rough go at it as I don't have Ideal reference. No T poses of him around the net....

Anyhows, I still have to add the body stripes(stuff there is just the maps I used for the head stripes.... to see how it could look), I want to fix the feet and add the hankerchife around the neck....and the tail ofcourse!!!

but here's the progress anyhows... take a look if you get a chance

http://www.3dartz.com/WIPs/nTorsoBA.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Guest Rogelio Guzman

Hello Mike,

It looks very good, as always I am very inspired and impressed

Can't wait to see it animated

Rogelio

Hello Mike,

It looks very good, as always I am very inspired and impressed

Can't wait to see it animated

Rogelio

Hey, thanks Rogelio! Appreciate the reply!

Next post should have at least the tail.... maybe some more appropriate stripes too.

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Wow that looks great so far Mike. One thing bugs me though, the head looks a tad small compared to the body. Maybe thats the way it's supposed to be. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply!

I really do see what you are saying about the head right now.... I have tried a couple of different sizes to try and see if I can find the right scale.... but figured I'd have better ability to scale things once the full model is built. I do feel it is a little on the small side right now though....

With the lack of straight forward reference this is sort of turning into "my version" of tony the tiger. I would rather have perfect reference than having to make the judgements on scale and stuff on my own...

but hey, its just for fun anyways!

thanks for the reply!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

No T poses of him around the net....

You did check out the games on the web site, yes?

Tony web site

There are animated Tony's there.

I just spent an hour or so searching the web for Tony stuff.

Your right, not much.

Had a ball looking at all the old advertisements though: )

Completely off topic but I Just have to share these.

http://www.leoburnett.com/ideas/altoids/healthy.asp

http://www.leoburnett.com/ideas/altoids/makingfriends.asp

More info.

cap_90507.jpg

simex020426.jpg

From cgw:

April 2001 Tony the Tiger received a modern, updated look after undergoing a 3D

makeover by Smoke & Mirrors. Since then, Tony has appeared in a series of

television commercials in which some portions of his body,

such as the back of his head, are shown for the first time since his

origination decades ago.

Another article

Hit PAYDIRT at the last second

Tony clip

Hey PIJack! Great images of Tony! You are a better web searcher than I for sure!

I must have put a good hour or 2 looking for images.... while they aren't perfect they are very very good.

Especially the firt one, which I'll be digesting very soon.

Thanks!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Hey Justin, thanks for the reply!

I agree with the head, I also feel like I need to round out his chest and make it a little more of the barrell chest, at least up top. I am rendering a version with the mouth built in the geometry to see what might suit it best.... textured mouth or geometry.

It looks like people who have created 3d tony the tigers before took great liberty with how they handled the mouth and head region.

Anyhows, I'll post more as it goes.

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Boy, that scarf really helps. He looks just like Tony! :)

Ahhhh, a scarf..... that word has been evading me for a few days now. I seriosly couldn't for the life of me remember that word!!!!!

Thanks for the reply!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Mike -

Tony looks really sweet !! (not unlike the cereal, which as a kid was one of my faves but now when I eat it makes my fillings hurt). :)

Doug

Funny Doug! Frosted flakes grind at my fillings too!

thanks for the reply!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Hi Mike..

Looks Great :D

The chest still seems a little small, or maybe the legs are a little to large, but it's looking great.

Hey John, thanks for the reply! Totally backing the Capsules!

I know what your saying about the chest and sizing...... I tried sizing while modelling but with out any real reference I was having a hard time eyeballing it.... so after I finish all the pieces to the model I will start playing with scale of body parts and head

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Hey John, thanks for the image! Will definately add to my eyeballing capabilities!

You don't happen to have a "T" pose sitting around that you forgot about? :D

I have a feeling that this Tony is ultimately going to wind up being more my version of him than the stuff I've seen.... but I kinda wish I had that image before I started

thank ya

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Okay, I had a little while today to put toward Mr.Tony here and I finished up the scarf and put in the hip joints. Yeeeessssss, he's getting COG-d!!!! :blink:

I am really happy with how smooth the models joints are rendering. I really like the toon shader in A:M..... I think it's one of it's strongest features.

Anyhows, take a look if you get a chance

http://www.3dartz.com/WIPs/HipsSml.mov

thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Very nice work. I really like how Tony's shaping up. It is a bit eerie to see the legs move and the rest of the body to be still.

Can't wait to see a walk cycle...

Hey thanks Mike!

Hopefully I'll have him ready to walk monday!

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Looks good from the backside, Mike! Except there's just a little nit I have, my eyes want to see the tail slightly higher (closer to the lower back stripe). Front to back leg motion shouldn't affect it much, side to side hip action should make it move more. Also to my just-slightly-above-gutter-level mind it kinda looks like a "naughty" front side. knowwhatimean. nudge. nudge. saynomore. saynomore. The "knobiness" of the tail's end adds to this impression.

Aside from that, it's coming along really nice. I really like the shape of the figure and when the tail's done (w/dynamic constraints) it shoud be really G-r-r-r-e-a-t!!

:D

Looks good from the backside, Mike! Except there's just a little nit I have, my eyes want to see the tail slightly higher (closer to the lower back stripe). Front to back leg motion shouldn't affect it much, side to side hip action should make it move more. Also to my just-slightly-above-gutter-level mind it kinda looks like a "naughty" front side. knowwhatimean. nudge. nudge. saynomore. saynomore. The "knobiness" of the tail's end adds to this impression.

Aside from that, it's coming along really nice. I really like the shape of the figure and when the tail's done (w/dynamic constraints) it shoud be really G-r-r-r-e-a-t!!

:D

Mike you pervert!!!! I am laughing pretty hard here!

Thanks for taking it down a level!!!!

Ok, now for the clean part of the note!!!

I see about the tails base on the back... I'll give it an adjustment and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike Fitz

www.3artz.com

Agree with Justin here, Mike. The head is too small and the neck needs to be a bit longer. Keep in mind that the scarf was prob. added to the tiger in order to make animation easier ( the old why does Yogi Bear wear a collar and necktie thing).

The tail looks much better and the pose is nice. The head is still reading as a punching-bag kinda thing for me. But that's not enough to ruin it for me, though.

But it has gotten me thinking about the 'cheats' that 2D animators have done in the past. Espescially with the mouth. A lot of the time, it's easier to just do a head shape and then have the mouth be within by it. So now the tweener only has to do different mouths, instead of the whole side and jaw of the head. Like filmation of the 70's - the Superfriends jaws don't move. But that's all changed in 3D, ain't it? While decaling like you've done is a good solution, it does engender some form of visual dissonance. For me the only answer would be to just go ahead and model the face...but that's so easy to say. It's your work and your decision, just thought I'd wonder out loud a bit.

It's really taking shape and looking better every time you post something new.

Lookin' better, Mike! It still feels like the head's a tad too small, though. Or maybe it's the absence of a neck that makes him feel awkward. Or a little of both...???

Hey JB, thanks for the reply!

The head.... Ya know, I've enlarged his head significantly and I still feel something is up with it from certain angles.... I think it has to do with the mouth not being modelled in the head.... also the top of the head might be to narrow.... Just not sure with out a decent reference image from the illustrations of the real tony.

The neck is next.... I think the changes I have to make to the neck will affect the shoulders a little too...

Ok, thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

It's really taking shape and looking better every time you post something new.

Hey Mike, I see what you and Justin are saying.... I feel a couple things are contributing to the oddness of the head..... I think it has something to do with the mouth....but time will tell how I can handle it as I get some more time to spend with ol Tony here.

I have to work on the neck next and that will probably impact the shoulders a little...

Ok, thanks for the reply!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com