sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can A:M do whiteboard animation presentations?

fae_alba

In my professional life as a software engineer I have been thrust into being responsible for pre-sales efforts for one of our products (mastering solution for healthcare). I need to put together a decent presentation of the capabilities of the product to first educated our own salesforce, and thought, 'whiteboard animation'. Came across doodly, but got turned off by reviews and warnings on the product. So begin to think about the animation product I know and love, A:M. Question is can it be workflowed to the point of producing a good presentation of say five minutes ... quickly and easily... thoughts? Ideas?

I guess making flat 2d models with limited animation would be fairly straight forward.

You make each part in layers so it could be rotated like those toon boom style animations.

They could be moved around in the choreography and scaled in and out of existence. Not sure about other animated elements.

Toon render could quickly add outlines to the models and give a flat shaded effect.

Just spit-balling

i need a demonstration that a) convinces salespeople to sell this product (not as easy as it would seem) and b) convince a hospital to invest a cool million on it.

healthcare is a bitch to sell to, and I need something that grabs. and I truly hate powerpoint. I live in it..its horrible.

• Hash Fellow

I think what the salespeople want most is something they can reuse in their "pres".

I think some commonly available presentation software is your more likely bet. A:M is more about creating the content than being a platform to present it with.

• Hash Fellow

There's no easy way in A:M to draw and write on the screen in real time.

To me, that seems to be the functionality that distinguishes slide shows from whiteboard presentations.

• Hash Fellow

If I had to use A:M for a live presentation, I would make each "slide" something in a separate Chor.  Maybe I'd have 25 numbered Chors in the PWS

I could call up each Chor from the PWS as I got to it in my presentation and Play it. It would stop at its Range "end" and I could talk about what ever was being displayed, maybe replay it if need be, maybe even grab objects and move them if that were relevant to do. That might be relevant in an architectural presentation.

But you still don't have live writing and annotating this way.

Also, you'd  have to be absolutely certain that before you launched, every Chor was already set to the proper "View" and proper start time. Once you start futzing around with navigating the interface to get back to the right View or right Time you'll be losing the audience.

Another downside is that you'd have to get a license for A:M for the computer in your presentation room if this wasn't running off a laptop your brought with you.

• Hash Fellow

My preference for a presentation would be to have a voice (a real person, not a robot voice) read each text as it is presented rather than have a hand silently write it.

• *A:M User*

I'd say go with that, that looks like it would impress the average corporate numnutz. 

Based on the number of hats you're expected to wear, it seems like you should be making $200k/year at this job.   I wouldn't kill myself on this presentation.

Roger.. if I made every penny I earned I could have retired years ago. But it is what it is.

Robert.. Voice overs are certainly something I am working on. Next presentation I am mixing A:M animations into it... trying to build a quick gear like animation. I'm trying to breath life into something like this:

What Is ETL And How the ETL process works?

ok.. here's a question. I want to animate a string of binary text along the center spline of these arrows, each at different rates. What's the best way to do that?

The string I want to move is this:

01100010 01110101 01111001 00100000 01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01001000 01100101 01100001 01101100 01110100 01101000 00100000 01000100 01100001 01110100 01100001

image.png

• Hash Fellow

Is each byte a unit that moves by itself?

Is the byte supposed to bend as it encounters bends in the spline?

Is it important that the spline in the middle arrow is bent?

So I tried a distortion box...got in the weeds real quick.. so I backed up, simplified and came up with the attached. I remodeled the arrows to have bones so I could shape it any way I wanted. The binary scroll is a cookie cut on a simple mesh with a bone on every spline, then I just hand keyframed the whole shebang.

• Like 1