Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling my avatar image

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say more round at thebottom of the eyes and you could definately kill some splines by hooking them to decrease the number or patches while keeping the same detail.

But overall this is looking like a great model

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Admin

Your avatar reminds me of the good 'ol days of comics...

Your drawn avatar style in particular has the look of early Dave Cockrum (XMEN) and Bob Layton (IRONMAN)!

...and if anyones says, "Who???"...

*sigh* and double *sigh*.

Nice work thus far transforming your avatar into 3D.

I have a bunch of things I hope to transform myself..... one of these days! ;)

Keep up the good work!

Hi Gerry, like I said I think this is coming out great.

As far as spline reduction, this is where I would start. You will have enough splines to mold the curvatures of the model.

Of course make a copy of the original before you try the suggestions.

Keep us posoted

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

splinedelete.jpg

Hey Rodney, I definitely consider the comparison to Dave Cockrum and Bob Layton a compliment. I was first familiar with Dave's fan work before he went pro...a zine called "The Yancy Street Gazette" I believe. Funny thing was, he signed his work DEC and there was another fan artist named Alvin Grinage who signed his work AUG. Not that funny but you can see how it looked!

Dave and Bob started working for Marvel just prior to when I stopped reading comics, so I'm less familiar with Bob's work, but you'll see on Bugbots I was consciously trying for that Marvel "look". Long after the characters were created, I realized that, with Skarab, Centipete, Midge and Friar Blowfly I had UNconsciously recreated the Fantastic Four!

Mike, I've started reducing the splinage and the difference is noticeable and positive. I'll be posting more progress shots shortly.

Here's the full figure of Headlouse:

headlouse.gif

Good job!

Now model the body

Mike- just cause you ended with a laughing smiley, don't think I won't!

I was playing last night with some procedural materials for the eyes and got a *pretty* good combiner to suggest the comicbooky reflections. I'm going to try to keep the combiner and notch up the reflectivity to get the glassy look.

Or something like that!

• Admin

Lots of great comic book styles showing up on the list recently! Loving it!

Gerry meet Javier.... Javier.... Gerry!

And there are other great talents out there as well.

I hadn't realized you had a whole team thing going on... wow! Looking forward to more! More links please!!!

Zack... where are you..... A:M comics.... thaz gonna haffa be da nex projex..... :lol:

• Admin

...and you are already on the 4th issue of your bugbots comic!!!!

http://www.bugbots.com/pagelocator.html

Where have I been!!!

*Checked out your comics and website! Nice!

You sir, are a very versatile talent.

From New York post 911 sketches to comics about bugs... it looks like you enjoy your talent too.

...and now... you are moving even further into the 3D world.

I look forward to seeing a lot more from you!

Hello Gerry,

Man oh man. I just went to your site. I had looked at your sketches from ground zero many moons ago and didn't put two and two together that that was your work.

As Rodney said you are indeed a diverse talent. Okay enough of the fan boy stuff ...

Have you ever printed your comics? Just curious, as I hate reading comics online. Maybe its just me but I want to turn the pages and all that. Even a .pdf file would be nice. I realize that may be costly but I was just curious. I love what I've seen of Chapter One. Cool stuff.

Hope the transition to a new locale is going well.

Doug

Doug and Rodney, thanks for the comments! We do have a black and white "ashcan" of issue #1 and if I knew which box they were in I'd send you one. We're in transition and most of our stuff is still packed up.

I had a plan to really publish a couple of years ago but the money and logistics of distribution quickly get huge, so that's on hold. Even the basic work was a major project, as the color files I created for the web comic need to be completely recreated: super high res for the line art, separate black plate, cmyk... There was nothing from the web comic I could repurpose for print. I would have had to do everything twice.

All things considered, I'd rather be working in A:M!

Here's a progress shot with a bunch of procedural textures slapped on. I think to really get this to shine I'll have to decal most of it, the procedurals only go so far.

However I also have a slight problem with a couple of hooks causing gaps. I'm posting a screen shot. I have a feeling I shouldn't be hooking to a curved spline.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Gerry

headlouse_3.jpg

hookgap_2.jpg

Jeff - I tried a gold texture from the materials library but when I really heightened the reflectivity, all the adjacent elements (the "snorkel", the eyebrows and the edge of the helmet) all reflected right at the edges of the eye lens and kind of worked against the roundedness.

I think you're right about the reflectivity but too much of it didn't look like what I wanted.

I think I'm explaining this clearly. If you want to suggest a better way to get the effect, I'd be happy to hear it!

What about an environment map?

Gerry

You have to remember that to have a good reflectivity to your reflective surface you have to have something to reflect. Otherwise it will only reflect the edges and the color of you modeling area. Do it in a chor with something in the background a good lighting you should have something.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having an odd problem with this one spline, and I know it's probably my modeling. I'm trying to post some screen shots but it doesn't seem to be working; may be a firewall here at work. I'll try to post it from home later.

It's not keeping me from working, I'd just like to understand it.

Gerry

I get similar results with my characters in v11. I think it's just a product of making changes to a character that results in these broken splines.

If it's impeding your modeling down the line let us know what are you wanting to do by selecting that spline?

Actually it's not keeping me from working. I wondered if this was a problem with my modeling (always my first assumption!) or some odd software behavior I should be aware of. I thought splines were by definition continuous.

When I selected that first cp I expected to be able to comma-select a cross section spline of the top "blade" of the helmet and adjust it.

Doug and anyone else interested in the lone printed sample of "Bugbots", I've finally found them while unpacking. It's an 8 page, b&w version of chapter one online. Also came across my stash of Bugbots postcards. I'll send one of each to anyone who wants 'em. Just e me your snail mail address and they're yours.

Haven't done much more on modeling Headlouse as I snagged a pretty nice day job about three weeks ago, and also started painting some of the awesome scenery surrounding us here in Catawba County, NC.

When are they gonna perfect that cloning stuff we keep hearing about? I need two of me!

Gerry

Haven't done much more on modeling Headlouse as I snagged a pretty nice day job about three weeks ago, and also started painting some of the awesome scenery surrounding us here in Catawba County, NC.

Funny when I read this I thought ...hey I wonder if Gerry is a house painter? But I take it you are painting 'scenery' as in ... nevermind.

Doug

• Admin

Congrats on finding your samples and postcards!

...and more congrats on your day job! You'll have to tell us more...

I know the feeling of rediscovering old artwork. It can serve as an excellent motivator and keep creativity flowing.

I just rescued my (approx.) 8000 comics from storage... The good news is that thanks to Nevada temperatures and the way they were stored all are in almost the exact same condition as I left them 10 years ago! :)

Gonna have to read a few one of these days.

Long live comics! (Oh... and A:M too!)

Ha! Doug, funny misread! Doubly funny because I've specialized for years in doing paintings of people's houses and always had to be careful to say "I'm painting a portrait of a home" and NOT "I'm painting someone's house"!!

• Admin

Whooo Hoooo!

I just recieved my copy of The Mansect Rebellion - Featuring Bugbots today in the mail! The postcard too!

I feel like I've returned to the good ol' days of comic collecting! :)

Thanks Gerry!

For the comic and postcard, for the extra effort it getting it out to me, and for getting me interested in a strange new world of insectmen (or is that man insects) that I probably wouldn't otherwise have seen.

Best of everything in bringing new life to your creation in whatever method or media it might be.

Smells like a bug (or two) that should be real winners!