Hash, Inc. Forums

working on Spider man

Maniac

I have been working on A spider man Thoughts on the spider on his back. Would it be best made with bump maps I have been trying to make in modeling just can not get it smooth with contours with back muscles .if bump map needs to be made I do not have PS no more.it may just have to be a decal. How would you get around this. is modeling it my best way  keep working at it.

Thank you

Spiderman back spider.jpg

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

I think a bump map is the way to go.

If you have paint program at all that can blur an image, draw that shape in white on a 50% gray background, blur it slightly, then save it out and use it as a bump map. Save to TGA or PNG if you can, but JPG will work.

hello,

this is the image generated with AM or your creative template ??

Modeling this with patches seems very complex to me. Especially to maintain a regular curvature of the surface of the back!

A bump map or a normal map should do just fine.
Would a displacement card work? Perhaps that would perhaps lengthen the computation times !?

salutations

• 4 weeks later...

this still needs a lot more work still have to put bones in so I can pose him. I am very slow at this. I have rebuilt him a few times not Liking what I had seen. Seems Like I never finish lol .I Have to go cut a few trees down today I will not have time but This weekend .really like to do bump map.  I really want is to try to get this 3D Printed see how it turns out  this was the plan for model .No I do not have 3D printer

Thank you 

Hello all I was looking for a Tutorial on building hand rig .I have tried to do my own got it kinda working  but all seam to be sister bones I move 1 finger and all fingers move in  same direction some times stretch away from hand bone. I used 3 bones per finger and palm is wear I put hand bone, Hope there is a tutorial  here I want to learn how to make the rig

Thanks

• Hash Fellow

The simplest hand "rig" is to make a Pose slider for each hand that takes the fingers from "open" to "fist". That's not much but it's fast and easy.

The next is to add a bone that is a child of the hand but parent of three finger bones. Add a SmartSkin for it that curls the last two bones when it is rotated on its Z axis. Then hide the original three bones. Do that for each finger. Animating the main bone on X or Y moves the finger as a whole. Rotating it on Z bends the last two bones.

This is similar to how hands are handled in TSM2 and (I think) the AM2000 rig in TAoAM

The best hand rig is no rig. The three bones per finger that you already have. Hand rigs get in the way of careful hand posing. When I studied at Animation Mentor there was no hand rig, we moved all the bones individually.

In A:M we can ease this process by making Drag-and-Drop-on poses for commonly used positions like Fist or Point or Thumbs Up or "hyperextended" or whatever... and dropping them on the character whenever we want to keyframe those in or, more commonly, use one as the starting point for  a slightly different pose.

The video in this thread shows how to make Drag-and-Drop Poses.