Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The (incompetent) Secret Agent

Well some of you at the last chat on wed may recall a pitch I did for a new short. I have a rough animatic started (takes longer than you think).

This is not the complete script. There are a bunch of scenes missing at the end. Also the music is temporary. Something I had lying around.

I can see how this is really going to help me get all the details worked out. I will keep this uptodate as much as possible.

here is the QT of the animatic. Sorenson 3, about 2.3mb:

Vernon "Sleep? What's that?" Zehr

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it!

I didn't get the zipper joke at first. Just FYI to maybe make it clearer in the actual animation. Or to bar me from the premiere.

I love the drawing style. How much of that do you anticipate will go into the final version?

Zach

The cereal project has been around longer....and it is a bigger project.... and just maybe I am getting a little bored with it... It will get done eventually.

Anyway this one has tons of repetition (just change the camera angles slightly for each repeat) and is fairly short. A few minutes at most. There is only one more repeat after the end of the current animatic. He finally makes it to the roof and... well I will let you see the new animatic when it is ready.

I was a little reluctant letting the cat out of the bag this early on but I think it will keep me motivated.

Thanks for the kudos on the animatic! Those are kind of fun! Don't have to worry about all the details.

Vernon Zehr

I like it!

I didn't get the zipper joke at first. Just FYI to maybe make it clearer in the actual animation. Or to bar me from the premiere.

I love the drawing style. How much of that do you anticipate will go into the final version?

Zach

Yes! The zipper joke...It could have been a lot worse but I wanted to keep it clean...

I was going to throw in some textual "sound" effects (ZIP! SNICK!) that should help with that particular gag.

The final animation will be very clear what is happening.

As for how much will go in the final? Do you mean how much of the story I have presented in the animatic? The story is bare bones really. No fat at all. I anticipate putting all of it in plus more.

As for the final render "style" that will be a realistic "cartoony" look. Not sure yet. I want that kind of simplistic bold look. I don't want the characters to be "real". It will not be toon rendered. I can't do toon.

All of the sketches were done basically freehand in Photoshop. For some reason I start doodling on paper and then end up doodling on the computer. I just love the computer I guess.

Since I don't have a drawing pad on my computer I started using this technique with a paint brush set to fade in size over distance then just draw pretty much with straight lines using the shift key. It is fun and I like the sketchy feel of the end product. Sometimes I will draw a quick path and stroke it with the same brush. I can tell you it is faster for me than drawing by hand.

I did use some reference shots from....uh...Poser....just the basic body shapes so I have something to go by. Like using a manikin.

I have not completely decided on the "look" of the agent character. The look he sort of has now just came up in sketching so I went with it. I definately want his hair to look "frazzled", unkempt.

Vernon "the (incompetent) animator" Zehr

• Admin

Got here too late to ruin the ending for everyone.

Sorry. I like the part where he falls through the roof

Way to go Vern! I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

*Really, in a way... I kinda like what you've got now! Very Impressive!

I had great images in my mind when you 'read' the script in the #hash3d chat.

What you've put together thus far is even better than what I envisioned!

Now I really can't wait for the sequel!!!

Awesome Vern! Had me laughing all over again....

I was wondering if you had a copy of the "pitch" that you gave at last Wednesday's chat? This would be really useful to read again having seen the animatic.

I want to see the finished film now! :huh:

Okay I will answer a few questions:

Scratch the music?!?!

Can't, all it is is music, no dialogue, just sound fx and music. There may be a few grunts, screams and laughter etc.

The music is the most important thing, Drives the action and gives a nice contrast to what is really going on.

Yes, timing... that needs some work. That is what the animatic is for. Once I have the whole thing in then I will fine tune it.

The animatic was produced with photoshop and After Effects. I may redo it in Flash for size and it is a little easier/faster to do stuff. I will have to test this to be sure. AE is pretty good I am just not as comfortable using it.

I have been working on the intro segment with the title! It looks so cool! Can't wait to post it.

Thanks for the support!

Can those who didn't catch the "zipper joke" let me know how to make this clearer in the animatic or exactly why it didn't come across? Can you tell me what you thought was happening? Thanks.

Vernon "M" Zehr

I was wondering if you had a copy of the "pitch" that you gave at last Wednesday's chat? This would be really useful to read again having seen the animatic.

This is my original concept straight from my brain....it might be a little sticky still.

Scene 1:

Funky spy secret agent music

Agent getting dressed, boots, gloves, etc.

When he zips up his body suit catches nipple in zipper..

Agent in doctors office having zipper removed and bandaged

Scene 2:

Same opening this time when zipping suit agent is overly careful. See bandaged nipple as zipper goes up.

Agent on roof at night. Secret operation. Opens case with complex looking weapon/harpoon. Assembles weapon (cut scenes of assemble with fast music).

Holds weapon up to shoulder and fires.

Weapon explodes.

Agent at desk of instructor going over instructions for assembling the grappling gun. Agent is noticably injured with burns and bandages. Not overly so just subtle enough to see. Sees mistake by waving hands how he switched the part that blew up and slaps head with a laugh.

Scene 3:

Once again on top of building. Repeat first two scenes successfully.

This time aims weapon at building accross the street. Fires weapon.

Close up of grappling hook flying through the air. Approaches building. mIsses building and flies through window breaking the glass.

Inside apartment, old woman watching tv. Oblivious to grappling hook flying past behind her into another room. rope trailing hook goes slack hear a cat scream as it is impaled (don't see this just hear it).

On roof again as agent holds rope and jumps off ledge so as to climb rope to next building.

Rope never goes taught as the agent plummets to the sidewalk below. Camera pans to side walk (swish!) we see agent in crumpled pile on sidewalk (crater?). As the grappling hook rope falls we here the cat again impaled on the hook as it hits agent.

Agent more noticably injured now is at target practice range.

Scene 4:

Start from beginning.

Fires hook at building successfully attaches. Agent swings to building and climbs up to roof.

Agent runs to an area on the roof. Pulls out blow torch and starts cutting a hole in the roof to gain access.

Agent unawares cuts a hole around him and falls through roof only to land behind the old woman watching tv (or old woman is talking to police officer, depends on my stamina).

Fade to black credits roll.

• Admin

Imagine Vern reading/revealing his script line by line in real time and you'll understand in part how cool it is to chat at #hash3d! ;)

There are more than a few times where things are revealed in a chat long before they are announced elsewhere.

...and laughter cleans out the sinuses...

I'm only just now learning how to log these chats so I can refer back to them.

Vern's revelation of "The (incompetent) Secret Agent is one I sadly missed.

... that and the most recent clone war... :lol:

Okay it wasn't done in AM but it will be!

This is a rough test of the intro segment for the ISA. It was done with Photoshop and AE. I will of course redo it in AM but at least all of the texture maps and layout is done.

Without further ado:

Intro test 1

p.s. I kept wishing AE had better keyframing and spline tools.

Vernon "I could've been a secret agent" Zehr

Nice work Vern!

I have a question - By naming the short ISA, and by putting that at the very begining of the piece, are you giving too much away? How differently would it play without it?

Just a thought, cause my brain made me. :blink:

(And yes, AE splines are annoying at best!)

Vern,

Very funny! Very nice! Can't wait to see the end product.

I tend to think the music is PERFECT. In fact- if anything- it could be even more "Bondish" in a real characature kind of way, but that is certainly not necessary. It's already a sixty-ish send up as it is.

What might help the zipper gag is cutting to an insert of the gag so we (meaning the camera) are

CLOSE ON: The hand doing the zipping as it catches the nipple. "Ouch!"

Anyhoo,

great work. Thanks for sharing.

Sterling

Vern, that title sequence rocks! I could totally hear a twangy, James Bond guitar as the folder falls, opens... then a big brass hit when "INCOMPETENT" appears.

As for the zipper nipper joke, I expect that once it's actually animated (and a zipper sound effect is added) it'll be plenty clear. If I were directing it, I might put a close-up of the bandage being applied, as a cut right after the agent's wince of pain; and then cut to a full shot of the agent and the doc.

Great work!

Zach

Thanks so much for everyones enthusiasm, support and comments! Very very much appreciated.

The music...

I wrote that piece a few years ago. I kind of like it but since I am biased and not a trained musician in any way (I can't read notes anymore, just midi) I thought it might not be good enough. I do plan to polish it up with my new copy of Reason. I might look at some royalty free stuff. If I find something that is 100 times better I might use it, but I kind of like the idea of doing it all myself.

The title....

Nope, I like the title. It makes sense to play it up. I do have "The Secret Agent" come up first. The INCOMPETENT is to indicate a stamp in his file symbolically. It also gives the viewer a heads up to pay attention.

Plus! On the end credits the same title card comes up and additional stamps will appear; "Totally", Completely", etc, etc.

The zipper gag....

The reason I didn't do an insert shot of the zipper actually catching on the nipple is that generally in comedy it is much funnier to see the reaction rather than showing the specific action (The movie "Something about Mary" for instance. You know exactly what happened with the zipper).

There will be a much more detailed closeup scene of the doctor bandaging the nipple. That sketch in the animatic I did way to small and zoomed in. I didn't spend as much effort on it.

Sequals!!!!

After I did that more polished intro it hit me like a brick in the head that this could expand into a whole series like Petey and Jaydee. I want to get this one under my belt first of course.

I hope I don't come across as being pig headed about everyones suggestions. I sound like a prima dona but this idea seemed to come from somewhere else. It popped into my head in its entirety in one gigantic whoosh! I typed it up in one complete stream without stopping. It just feels so perfect, like it was given to me. I almost didn't have to think about it.

Vernon "Modest by nature" Zehr

Looking good so far, Vern. Can't wait to see more. I agree there are a couple moments when the pacing could be a little snappier, but I'm sure you'll work that out.

I first read the title as The Incontinent Secret Agent. I'm glad I read it wrong.

Looking good so far, Vern. Can't wait to see more. I agree there are a couple moments when the pacing could be a little snappier, but I'm sure you'll work that out.

I first read the title as The Incontinent Secret Agent. I'm glad I read it wrong.

Thanks for the comments. I wish I could work on it right now! I am in the middle of a disasterous project. deadline looming....total brain lock! Oh well. Always the weekend.

Question about your username: Is it "mediaho" like "westward Ho!" or more like the prostitute thing like "You're just a damn mediaho!"?

Just curious.

Vernon "Media Prostitute" Zehr

Okay, version 2.

It isn't complete yet. Still have to finish the roof sequence and the torch cutting scene.

There may seem to be some awkward pauses on some of the scenes. Those are for things I know I want to add I just haven't put them in the animatic yet.

The roof scene is a little rough. It will basically be some over the top jumping and rolling of the agent just to travel a short distance. I need to put in some more quick cuts.

Enjoy! It is about 4.7 mb.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Question about your username: Is it "mediaho" like "westward Ho!" or more like the prostitute thing like "You're just a damn mediaho!"?

Just curious.

The second one. It's "Media Ho" as in "Attention Ho" or "Paris Hilton."

The second one. It's "Media Ho" as in "Attention Ho" or "Paris Hilton."

....holy breakdown of American values Batman!

...I just blew coffee out my nose......

I just woke up and this is the first thing I read.....

Better than a caffeine pill I tell you!

(hee hee...Paris Hilton....hee hee)

Vernon "!!" Zehr

Great stuff again.

Was it the same music as before? For some reason I didn't like it as much this time. Probably just going crazy.

The new bit at the firing range... story-wise... I'm torn between liking it (it's a great joke) and disliking it (it's not part of the same sequence as the rest). It does break things up a bit, which is important... but is it important enough to end the wonderful motif you have, where the Agent makes a mistake, corrects it, then goes just far enough to make another mistake... and so on.

Although, I guess that bit _is_ about him correcting his aim, so maybe I'm just not interpreting it quick enough. Or maybe the "fixing the aim" moment needs to be quicker, or different...?

ah, whatever. Feel free to ignore.

Zach

The new bit at the firing range... story-wise... I'm torn between liking it (it's a great joke) and disliking it (it's not part of the same sequence as the rest)......

You nailed it on the head dude!

the target practice sequence is incorrect. It is suppose to be the end of the previous sequence. I put in a fade to black by mistake.

At the end of each "mistake" it goes to a scene of him "fixing" his problem. Each of these scenes always include some other character, doctor, technician, other agents. These additional characters will reflect their annoyance at his ineptitude and the agent will respond (with body language) with some sort of excuse.

The doctor scene will just have him wincing in pain as he is bandaged.

In the technician scene (the gun exploding) he will indicate that he switched one of the parts and slap his head and laugh at himself.

In the target practice scene when the other agents look at him in disgust he will be looking at his gun as if it is broken or malfunctioning and try to ignore the staring.

That scene also needs to be "tightened" up and shortened. I plan to change the pan also; start with the bald agent on the end and pan to our hero.

p.s. Same music. I wrote it and since I am not a trained musician I am well aware of its lack of....uh....quality? Just a temp track. I didn't want to put in anything really good that I couldn't use. It is always a dissapointment later when you have to change it. This way I have no where to go but up!

(2001 was suppose to have original music but Kubric loved the "temp" music so much he left in).

I just spoke with a friend who has a band. They are very solid and talented and I may get them to write and perform something for me.

Vernon "I write the songs that..(insert description)" Zehr