Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

What is this, some kinda bust?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

They make this sound like a bit more of a caper than it really is (I'm not sure that the shape of the bust of Nefertiti was a big secret) but now you can get her in inconvenient polygon form, ripe for your retopology experimenting.

Artists Covertly Scan Bust of Nefertiti and Release the Data for Free Online

Nefertiti-3D-1024x669.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Is that how they did it? I figured they must have done some sort of a walk-around with a video camera and then software derived a mesh from that.

Yeah, it's like laser scan detailed.

For the curious... 2,018,232 polygons

• Hash Fellow

Was there bump/displacement maps involved... all that intricate detail in her hat is polygonal?

It's ALL geometry detail. They scanned the original 3300-year-old bust. I don't know how they got that sort of detail with a Kinect but somehow they did.

Artists Covertly 3D Scanned Nefertiti's Bust And Released It Online

• Hash Fellow

Robert,

How long did it take you to import the OBJ file. I've had four cores churning away for more than 30 minutes.

It only took me two minutes as a Prop.

You are importing it as a Prop and not into an MDL, right?

• Admin

While it'd take some work, the entire bust could be textured (as if painted) via gradient materials. ;)

I presume the primary mat gradient would be flesh and hat.

I'll guess it'd take at least 8 additional nested gradients to account for the eyes, ears, nose/cheeks and mouth.

The hat mat would be fairly straightforward until accounting for that tassel, although a rotated mat gradient might be able to grab it to properly separate from the base of the hat.

The alternative would be to take it into another program and add the image maps, then once saved reimport into A:M wit those maps.

I'd say a good candidate for that might be Sculptris.

You are importing it as a Prop and not into an MDL, right?

You say that as though I've done this before. :lol: I let import to a model run for three hours while we went for a leisurely lunch and it was still at 20% when I returned. Importing as a Prop was MUCH faster. Now that I see the density of the data, I realize why.

Thanks.

• Admin

Here's a quick example of texturing poly Props in A:M with materials.

I decided to start with a Spherical to separate flesh from hat and then went with gradients thereafter.

I thought a good way to get quickly to different color on the tassel might be to use specularity and that worked rather well (going with the gold hat).

I decided to go with global axis for the material as I thought that might be easier to edit via Chor as I was having to deal with the wrong orientation of the model in Modeling Window and didn't want to have to deal with that. Reorienting Nerfi in the Chor allowed me to tweak the material in a more reasonable orientation.

The density of the Prop definitely slowed down refresh rates.

A better job would take the time to get that more exacting line between hat and forehead... and account for that finer piece of cloth(?) between hat and forehead.

If I was Bill Young I'd have a clue as to what I am doing with nested materials! That guy was a material painting machine.

Edit: Something I didn't think to do which I should have thought of was using multiple materials and then adjusting their location/translation first before moving toward refinement. That appears to work rather well too. I haven't tested to make sure multiple mats save appropriately with props... looking into that now. *Update* And they do! :)

Nerfi Mat painting.png

• Admin

Nice site Nancy!

Yes, STLs work well too. Although I usually have to scale them up more than OBJs found on the internet... often by as much as 10000% because they are so small.

Here's a bust of Al Einstein grabbed from the site you just linked with a marble material dropped onto it from the materials library.

I tweaked lighting and material a little to get a fake translucency and colored marble.

Edit: Those mapcaps worked great Nancy! Beautiful stuff!

Al.png