sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Idea Test

Simon Edmondson

I've been a bit bit busy with course work so haven't been around much.Apologies.

This is a quick test for towards an idea for my next project.

The Vertical plane has a negative shape formed by a cookie Cutter decal. Its letting the light through onto the floor plane.

simonCutout test2.mov

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

I'm hoping to get another test done tomorrow but have some other things to catch up with first.

Present thinking is to use the technique to develop a character piece, possibly with the void being filled but not sure of it yet. Too many other things going on.

regards

simon

• 4 weeks later...

Robert.

Thank you. I'm just playing about at the moment. The idea is to build up to getting an interplay between positive and negative space. Partly in reponse to looking at MC Esher's work. recently. He does a lot of his work with slightly modifying the grid structure.

I've just tried this about an hour ago. I think the next stage is to either modify the positive shapes by putting maps on them or using a cookie cutter decal to get some more shape in them....

regards

simon

Sheets.mov

Tri 04.mov

Yet another test...

Robert, David.

Thank you.

They are actually very simple indeed, its just flat planes and volumetric lights. The flat models had cookie cutter decals on and thats it really.

I got a bit carried away with it the past two days and will focus down a bit more now.

If anyone wants to play with them let me know and I'll post the prj files ?

regards

simon

Key 004.mov

Thought I'd try a HD version with ray tracing instead of shadow maps, while waiting for the next stage.

Key 005 HD.mov

Haven't converted to cookie cut yet but, the intention is to cut the lines out against a black background with the light coming through .

Shark 001.mov

simon

Rodney.

Thank you.

Here are the tests following on from that.

The first was a happy ( aside from the very last bit ) accident, caused by not deleteing an earlier key on the light.

Shark 002.mov

I had hoped to convert the files automatically in Photoshop but had to do them by hand instead. Changed the method half way through to get a slightly different result

This is the intended version, all white, no red. Although I like that effect and may try it with a different colour, or colours. Not sure what went wrong this time but will try again tomorrow.

Shark 003.mov

regards

simon

• Admin

There is an aspect of Shark 005 that suggests... looks really good... move on but I'll offer the following:

Disclaimer: Much of this might not apply as the shot is being viewed (by me) is being seen out of the greater context.

Focus

It isn't entirely clear where our attention should be at any given moment of the sequence. As such there are several things you *could* do to enhance the focal point(s) or regions of interest in the shot. For discussion's sake consider the general colors of the three primary objects; black (the trees/island), dark gray (the submarine) and light gray (the shark).

At first the black of the trees on the lsland catches my attention as it is an area of greater contrast.

Let us assume for a moment the focus should be (primarily) on the shark. If not the shark then we'd want to adjust this feedback.

If so then I might start the shark just slightly more to the right in order to get that focus first to the island and then pass the focus to the shark. Note that this passing of the hat is accomplished by the mechanism of movement away from a static object. The large contrast between the black backround and light gray ensures we will see and then follow the shark.

A similar setup then occurs where the shark interacts/passes the submarine. However, my gut instinct is to want that submarine to also be black... but hold that thought for a moment. We don't want both the island and the submarine to be black at the same time because the movement of the sub into the scene would immediately draw our attention to that. This is where the obsuring of the submarine via the wave effect could create change in the color of the sub. While the submarine could be black it might appear closer to the color of the background on the right at first because it is emerging from the deeper water (i.e. the color of the background and the sub are closer to each other). As the submarine then moves to the right it will temporarily take on our focus but then the movement of the shark must then steal it back. How would it do this? If the sub was black/darker it would then blend in with the darker color of the base of the island as those two objects overlap so if we were following the sub we'd receive a subtle hint to set our focus back to the shark..

Another point to ponder is overlap. There are moments of overlap of these three primary objects but they often only just barely overlap and several formulate near-tangents for extended frames which kills the sense of depth. The suggestion here would be to consider overlap from the camera's perspective as this grants the impression of depth that can get lost in a 3D shot that is captured on a 2D plane in front of a camera. I really need to draw over your animation in order to communicate this idea but lacking that I'd say to watch the submarine's periscope as the shark moves from background to foreground and work to enhance that.

I'm tempted to suggest having the shark emerge from behind the island as that would help even more to get that focus quickly to the island. If the island and the submarine are the only things in the shot and the sub mostly obscured then you've captured and directed your audience. Another approach would be to delay the entry of the sub. As stated though you can mask that entry and suggest that it was already in progress.

This isn't to say you haven't got a lot of this going already... you may just want to enhance/exaggerate. This layering approach to composition in depth is often setup in 3D but in the final capture/rendering is lost.

A final point might be to continue the movement of the shark to get it to pass further to the left before circling back and then passing over to the submarine. At present the sharks turn appears quite abrupt. Some acceleration from slow to fast as it moves would also be nice. If the sub continues at a steady pace throughout then focus will tend to return the changing speed of the shark

Perhaps that is what you mean by 'going to try to animate it properly now'... so I'll shut up and eagerly anticipate your next update!

Added: As for the gills, I believe you could just add a few splines, set them to render as lines and to minimal size. You could even animate those size to get bigger as the shark comes closer (although I haven't tested render as lines in quite awhile)

Rodney.

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback and help. I have a very strong cold at the moment,so not thinking too clearly.

I was just testing the visuals after Nancy made some suggestions on FB yesterday. I got told off on the college course for over planning so, at this point, they are just a series of tests, no narrative in sight as yet. It started with a question,

"could you animate a negative" ?

Which is were the first ones, using the cookie cutters of the dance sequence came in. The files were from Ska Lake ( almost finished, have to add the voices ) and treated in Pshop. After that I was looking at MC Escher's work and his use of positive/ Negative tesselation which was were all the keyshape forms with lights came in.

The shark started because, it offered the possibility of being in two different media at the same time, below and above water, so you could treat it as a Positive/ Negative visual. The Black and White use was to simplify everything and try to work within a tighter constraint.

I did have an idea for a narrative when starting off, to fill the negative space with junk during the course of a day, but thats a bit trite so still trying to come up with a decent one.

This was the second test of the day.

The waves are done using actions on a flat plane.

The sub is is just translated across the scene and the shark is animated while moving around a path. I had tried to use and action but couldn't get it to work for some reason.

regards

simon

Shark 006.mov

Robert

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how well its viewable but, its supposed to be the light grey area about 3/4 of the way up the silouhette of the island. The shark body is roughly a foot below the water line with dorsal fin projecting above the surface. There are about six layers of waves with different motion on each layer. I was trying to get a transparent y but not too transparent. May have overdone it there !!!.

I've got something different altogether going through at thge moment and will post that later.

regards

simon

Yet more tests...

Steps Set 08.mov

There are yet more ( no, no I hear you say, " not more"!!! )

But I'\ll spare those for today.

simon

Ps

Robert

Thank you for your feedback about the shar. I don't know what the line was causing the misreading of the waterline.It seemed to be an arteface of the cookie cutter decals ? as there were no shadows turned on. I didn't hunt it down as I quite liked it, although must concede it was a distraction too !

Steps Lights 03.mov

These are two more tests towards the current study unit. There is a third, coloured version. using volumetrics but no toon render which looks 'pretty' but will spare you all that.

. Finally beginning to develop a possible narrative or idea. Provisionally entitled "which way is up" ? Theres an old insult which goes, " They don't know which way is up"... After ploughing through some of the set texts I begin to wonder whether its me or them the insult applies to !

simon

Steps Set Ten.mov

StepsSet Ten Toon.mov

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Robert.

I tried a real zooetrop yesterday and am hoping to use it in coming weeks.

The phenakistoscope will be another option.

I was pleased with the way the figure read as both a postive and a negative on mine. The sequencing still needs some work though.

regards

simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Do you want the bright ring around the lights?

A note about eye animation. It's very rare for eyes to smoothly move from one direction to another. They almost always flick from one position to the next and hold inbetween with maybe just a frame of transistion.

Robert

Thank you for your reply and help.

The bright ring around the lights was a 'happy' accident with the toon settings. I liked the look but can't use it for the final piece.

Still toying with the settigs and light setups. Duly noted about the eyes. I was trying for a scanning effect, as if playing a game but, to be honest,aside from the blinks at the start, they was very hastily done in about 3mins just to get something there for the lighting test, so there was some movement on the figure.

regards

simon

• 3 weeks later...

This is the final assembley edit before I go back to adjust the curves and re render.

Any critical feedback very welcome, I am particularly keen to know if it 'reads', does it convey the narrative clearly ?

I can explain all the bits I put in but would prefer your personal responses rather than try to prefigure them with my waffle.

simon

Animatic 10.mov

• 3 weeks later...