Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

An easy way to make a spiral with patches?

rusty

Hi,

I was trying to create a simple spiral like the attached drawing...I can do it with a lot of work (do wizards primitives spiral twice and stitch splines across) but there must be an easier more elegant way.

Spiral.jpg

Imagination needed, LOL!

Thanks,

Rusty

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I was trying to create a simple spiral like the attached drawing...I can do it with a lot of work (do wizards primitives spiral twice and stitch splines across) but there must be an easier more elegant way.

Spiral.jpg

Imagination needed, LOL!

Thanks,

Rusty

Have a look at the Primitive-Wizard.

> Modelling-Window > RMB > Wizards > Primitive

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

If the primitive wizard doesn't meet your requirements you can always roll your own spirals via the Duplicator Wizard (using the extrude setting rather than the copy setting of course).

Here is a rough video (t is a variation on Robert Holmen's classic sea shell tutorial:

Note that if you don't want any height in the spiral you simply leave the Y axis setting alone.

In the video I create the spirals with height and then (in at least one instance) use Scale on the Y axis to decrease it.

I use a simple spline line to create the spiral but other shapes work well too.

Note that the real trick to success here is to have at least two spline objects on opposing sides of the Y axis.

This way when the Duplicator wizard goes to work it will use the center between them as the point to revolve around.

Disclaimer: You may want to download and view this in a video player that you can zoom in with because everything on screen is VERY tiny.

creating_spirals_with_the_duplicator_wizard.mp4

Wow, all this is fabulous! Thanks to all! Why didn't I think of these things??? Sometimes it's right in front of me and I don't see it.

Now I have another challenge but I'll create a new post. It's to be used with the spiral though.

Rusty