Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rounded Cubes?

Cybrknight

I was impressed to find some basic primitives like spheres and cubes. What I was surprised to find out was the cube objects had rounded corners. That isn't something your average modeler expects when initially creating a cube.

I was wondering what the philosophy surrounding this is, so I could better understand the mind of a A:Mer.

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was impressed to find some basic primitives like spheres and cubes. What I was surprised to find out was the cube objects had rounded corners. That isn't something your average modeler expects when initially creating a cube.

I was wondering what the philosophy surrounding this is, so I could better understand the mind of a A:Mer.

Thanks,

Steve

You can get sharp cubes too using the primitiv wizard. (RMB > plugins > wizards > primitiv).

Since A:M is not really a boxmodeller but a spline/patchbased one. Like that primitives are not that important.

The idea behind round edges is that these are harder to create and like this are more needed.

See u

*Fuchur*

Thanks,

Steve

You can get sharp cubes too using the primitiv wizard. (RMB > plugins > wizards > primitiv).

Since A:M is not really a boxmodeller but a spline/patchbased one. Like that primitives are not that important.

The idea behind round edges is that these are harder to create and like this are more needed.

See u

*Fuchur*

Thanks.

• Hash Fellow

This is an item where the workflow (philosophy) is different from a polygon modeler.

In a polygon world you typically make an outline, then lathe it or extrude it, then use some plugin to carve a bevel along an edge.

In spline modeling, you typically include the bevel shape in your outline, Then do the lathe or extrude. It's possible to stitch in a bevel after the fact but easier to put it in the outline before hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm being forced to learn C4D, which is TOTALLY different than A:M. They have a robust and fast primitive generators, and capping(bevelling) is easy and quick... but the objects created are just procedural objects and not considered actual geometry. 90% of C4D users simply use these shapes and rarely use the function that turns them into actual 3D editable models... C4D has a robust modeling toolset that many users avoid or rarely use simply because you can make-do with the procedural primitives quite nicely- they play well with C4D's mograph module, deformers, shaders, particle effects, and renderer.

A:M's modeling toolset is simple and elegant. Newcomers need to learn the 'art of the spline' and methodology before they can go too far, and fundamentals can get you where you want to go but learning is a 'deep well' and a lifelong task. Watch the tutorials and play-play-play.

• Hash Fellow

Where I got my first CG job they had something called Infini-D on the Mac and outside of making 3D text, primitives were about the only way to make anything. You couldn't deform them really, you just stacked them together like blocks to try to make shapes of what you needed. Character modeling was unthinkable.

That's how A:M caught my eye about a year later. Apparently you could make ANYTHING with those splines, so that's when I got on board around 1996 or so.