sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hand carved marionettes

Tore

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

You know what is fascinating to me?

I looked at a couple of those puppets and my first reaction was that they look like your work in A:M. :P

(i.e. I could almost swear they were modeled in A:M)

I need to search out a puppet show in this area and take my daughters to the show.

I saw one as a young boy that totally captivated me.

Perhaps I saw more than one though because my memory keeps transposing scenes of Pinocchio and Aladdin.

I'm leaning toward Aladdin as the scene I recall most vividly because of the sparkly treasure filled cave environment with all the lights dimmed down really low.

... while there is a similar scene in the belly of the whale... I don't recall there being one quite like the treasure cave of Aladdin in Pinocchio.

Hmmm... perhaps it was a double billing.

It is fantastic how puppets makes these deep impressions in our memories and feelings - whether made of wood, clay or splines. Through the years I have seen thousands of movies I've totally forgotteneverything about, but I still vividly remembers nearly every cut from Al Caprino's "Dyrene i Hakkebakkeskogen" the first stop motion movie I experienced as a kid in the 1950's when i lived in Norway.

Thanks for the share!

Here are my latest two heads "carved" in Animation Master

Tore

They do look terrific good work.

Are you using hand drawn maps with traditional media, such as pastels or are your maps digitally made ?

I hope I'm not being rude when I say the head on the left has a slight similarity to one of the figures in Picasso's "Demoiselles d'avignon". Not in the actual shape of the figure but the markings and texture of the features.

regards

simon

Simon,

it is certainly not rude to be compared to "Demoiselles..." - rather pretty flattering, I think! Demoiselles is one of Picassos most wonderfull paintings imo. But as Picasso did, and several others from that period, I also have enjoyed looking at photographs of native masks and native art in general.

The maps for these to heads are painted directly on the mesh, using 3D Painter, and the same goes for the bump maps. The meshes themselves are extremely simple, so the detailed, analog feel (if any) is due to painting layer on layer on layer with a relatively small brush. And of course due to the nice and very fluent way 3DPainter handles paint jobs.

:-) Tore

• Admin

I love this last one.

It falls squarely into a realm between hand drawn, sculpted and computer generated to the point of being a wonderful style all of its own.

You've got me wanting to dust off 3DPainter and get some work done.

Tore- those digital carvings have a great look and feel about them... I hope you further pursue this. For some reason, the marionettes you linked to gave me memories of art found in rural catholic churches in the 1970's... (statues, stations of the cross, stained glass designs etc)

• 2 weeks later...