sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Banner sequence

Simon Edmondson

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

You must forgive me here as I knew someone would want to see Stian's animation larger.

But I was also curious to see if anyone ever clicked on those banner images.

Apparently it does happen.

I should have searched out Stian's topic and bumped it up for everyone to see bigger, badder and better.

Aside:

When hovering over the image it should tell you where you will go if you click on the image.

The general rule of thumb for the banner is that each images will take you to something directly related to that image.

The current exceptions to this rule are mostly found at the top forum level (main forum).

Not that it currently exists this way but... a Tranformer animation in the main forum might take you to the Rigging and Constraints forum and a Tranformers animation in the Rigging and Constraints forum might take you to the topic where that Tranformer is rigged step by step by step. The banner in each forum is therefore (and more increasingly) 'forum-centric'. For instance, 80 percent of any banner's images in the Materials forum will be related to Materials while the remaining 20 percent should take you to other (hopefully related) areas of interest. Texturing tutorials for instance...

As time goes on the banners should get more and more accurately represented and they should also appear more accurately in all browsers as well.

I'm aware that we still have along ways to go before we get to the end goal here.

The Goal: Animation:Master is first and foremost for computer animation.

Anytime a banner's images are updated they will point to areas of relevance at that specific forum level.

The other day I noted another CG forum had gained a similar filmstrip banner but it didn't have the awesome animation. ;)

• Admin
I was skeptical at first but in off-line conversations I've had people mention they liked it without any prompting from me.

That's good to know.

FWIW, I'm still skeptical. ;)

I can think of lots of things I wish that banner could be; a little smaller and less obtrusive... easier on the bandwidth.

It also needs to hold up well in the A:M Community window (currently it falls flat on its face there).

I'd enlist Fuchur's support but he might think I'm a hopeless cause already.

The primary reason for the banner's existence isn't to create a menu (although I do find that an interesting feature) but rather to highlight all the cool images made with Animation:Master; still the premiere software for creating sequential and non-sequential computer images. I was getting a little tired of seeing text everywhere in the forum with only the occasional hint of imagery. Despite the amount of creativity in the forum, Folks dropping by had to dig through all the text in order to see that imagery. Back in the days of low bandwidth a higher text to image ratio might have been ideal but nowadays...

It's nice to know that it works well for some. I'd like to see it work even better.

But I'm also not trying to create a monster that needs to be fed constantly.

Rather interestingly, when I look at the banner as it is right now, it does take me back to when I first discovered A:M.

I was captivated by that imagery.

Still am.