sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Laptop battery life - how badly do lithium batteries degrade?

Roger

• *A:M User*

So, I've had my laptop about a year and usually keep it plugged in, with the battery in. I don't generally haul it around too much, as it is more of a desktop replacement than a portable system. I can carry it with me, but at 15" and 7 pounds it isn't the same as a 3 or 2.5 lb netbook.

Anyway, I've noticed that while I used to get 6 or 7 hours in balanced mode on my battery, now I'm lucky to get 4. Do the lithium batteries degrade that badly over time, or do I just need to let it go through a few discharge cycles to rejuvenate it, so to speak? The Lenovo battery manager doesn't report that it needs any maintenance, so not sure that I need to buy a new one just yet.

Anyone else out there experiencing anything like this? Should I be concerned, or is this normal? I was expecting the battery to degrade eventually, but after 3 or 4 years, not the first.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, they do. I bought my laptop little over 3 years ago, same as you, I don't really use it portable all that much really. I take it to school now but that's about it. When I first bought it, I got 6-ish hours, now I get about 1.5 and it's been like that for a good year or so now. In fact it's telling me to replace my battery now :P

• *A:M User*

I guess 4 hours with a quad core CPU and discrete GPU is pretty good, still. I haven't had much luck tweaking the power settings to squeak out any more life, though. Even just running on integrated and with the Max CPU speed at 50% and min at 5%, and screen brightness at 50% I still only get about 4 hours. Maybe I need to see if there is a way to disable two of the 4 cores when on battery.

Lithium Ion batteries degrad as well as others but only be age, not by loading while not being empty. (> very small memory effect)

Any accumulator you are using will loose capacity after a certain time. This is caused by oxidation processes and a smaller amount of free electrons which is created by that... (there are other reasons too see below)

Lithium Ion accumulators (rechargeable batteries) are known to have weak points as well as other types of batteries have. They are just a little bit better suited to half decharging and recharging at that state as other types.

On the the problems of Lithium Ion (which is for instance a reason why these are not used with cars) is, that they can't output higher amperage in a short time, etc.

(for that reason, plumb batteries are used in cars, because they have no memory effect (or at least one that is close to not being there).

All those technologies which have the "no memory-effect"-label on them have one problem so: Discharging them to zero will destroy them.

For that reason most modern electronics (like cellphones, etc.) will shut themselves off before that happens, even so the batteries still has a certain a mount of power left.

Anyway: Any accumulator will die after a certain while... if someone states something different s/he is trying to sell you something (and is lying ;) ).

How fast it will loose capacity is based on too many factors as that it could be stated really reliable. (temperature, direct sunlight, did you use your laptop while you were charging the accu, etc.)

See you

*Fuchur*

Good points to know. My last laptop did the same after about a year. One thing that helps is to start shutting off system programs you don't use. Windows has a ton of them. Turn off printer support, updates, etc... anything you don't need immediatly. All these little programs get a clock cycle, which uses processor power, which uses battery power. The fewer running the longer the battery stays up. Lower screen brightness....turn off the network adapter if your not surfing. I used to have a list of processes that could be killed. I'll see if I can find it and post it here if anyone is interested.