sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Thom constrained for BVH motion?

Rodney

• Admin

Does anyone have a Thom Model or anything with the 2001 rig constrained to the basic BVH motion data?

Constraining a character to BVH data has been on my list of things to do for quite awhile now and since I haven't got around to doing it yet I'm hoping someone already has one set up and ready to go.

I'll post any Actions I modify from the BVH data to the 2001 rig in the A:M Exchange forum.

Now that Robert has clued me into Baking Actions as a means to reduce the complexity of animation I'm all set to do some pose ripping. :)

Alternately, if anyone has any character constrained to BVH data I'd be interested in testing that too.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
If the Tom model is rigged at all then he is all ready for BVH. Start with the feet bones and start adding Orient like and translate to constraints from Tom model to the BVH skeleton and work your way up...

That's what I'm looking for.

If someone has constrained Thom to BVH in the past then perhaps they can share that with us in the forum so that everyone doesn't have to do the same thing all over again. If no one has done it then that might be something I should do but I suspect the 2001 Rig has been BVH'd many times before.

Reusage is what makes computers worth having. :)

Reusage is what makes computers worth having. :)

It's been my experience that different creators of BVH actions do not conform to one another, so bone orientations, names, scales etc are 'off' not only from maker to maler( bio vision, Santa Monica studios, Carnegie mellon, etc) AND even from session to session. So while your idea sounds great in theory, results may vary.

Conforming a rig to a BVH action is not a very time-consuming process, about 7 sets of trans-to orient-likes are needed, at minimum(feetx2 hips chest handsx2 head) and then tweak away. Once done and saved, you can try dropping another BVH onto the action... But that does not always ensure immediate success... Results can be quite comical- in my experience.

• Admin
It's been my experience that different creators of BVH actions do not conform to one another, so bone orientations, names, scales etc are 'off' not only from maker to maler( bio vision, Santa Monica studios, Carnegie mellon, etc) AND even from session to session. So while your idea sounds great in theory, results may vary.

I understand what you are saying.

A similar issue exists with the various rigs that a character can have in A:M. Actions created for one generally will not work another.

As I'm after the poses more than the motion itself the BVH data could be used without any constraints at all to inform the poses as well.

I'm not after every keyframe but rather only those poses that work the best for the intended action. I expect to hand animate the rest.

I have a tentative plan to setup Thom (or some other character) to work with the Carnegy collection and use that as a trial for testing out optimal workflow in A:M.

I understand what you are saying.

A similar issue exists with the various rigs that a character can have in A:M. Actions created for one generally will not work another.

As I'm after the poses more than the motion itself the BVH data could be used without any constraints at all to inform the poses as well.

I'm not after every keyframe but rather only those poses that work the best for the intended action. I expect to hand animate the rest.

I have a tentative plan to setup Thom (or some other character) to work with the Carnegy collection and use that as a trial for testing out optimal workflow in A:M.

I have a video-tutorial on my website about that.

It is only showing the basic process not a real finished result, but you may find it useful anyway.

A:M & BVH Tutorial

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Gerald,

Can you check this BVH video on your site and see if there is some reason it won't play through or download correctly for me.

When attempting to view online the video gets to about 50 seconds where you say, "Now let's open the Library" and then it stops.

I can download the file but when I attempt to extract the video from the compressed file it says it may be a corrupted file.

Perhaps it's just some compression thing on my end but I'm not able to view the video.

As always, thanks for all that you do for the community.