sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Intonation in Language

Simon Edmondson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m182n

This was broadcast on BBC Radio Four this morning and will be again at 21:30 UK time. I hope it will be available to " Listen again" after that.

The Actor and writer Steven Fry looks into how intonation in speech can change the way meaning is understood. It is centred around UK english and speech patterns but does cover aspects of US intonation as well, with a very good Dorothy Parker anecdote for example.

It is not about animation or modelling but it might illuminate some of your work with sound files and dialogue ?

regards

simon

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Too much fun! :)

Very interesting and informative.

And yes, it is related to animation!

Intonation has such wonderful applicability to the process of lipsync.

Please read the proceding as:

Very interesting (sloping downard)

and inFORMative (now upward and ending with an emphasis).

(pause)

And yes, (downward)

(pause)

it IS (emphasis)

related to animation (downward and almost sadly as if the speaker doesn't quite grasp the full and wonderful relationship or being able to properly leverage intonation in animation but recovering at the very end with a subtle yet optimistic flare that reveals a general love of the term 'animation'.

In-TONE-ation (enuniated more slowly and carefully... almost as if someone is listening critically)

has such WONderful app-LICK-ability (crisply rendered with a hard K)

to the process (downward)

of lipsync (further downward and fading throughout all the way to the end)

Too much fun.

Thanks for sharing the link! :)

The broadcast starts a bit slow but picks up speed and quality and keeps getting better and better so stay with it!

And yes, it is related to animation!

Rodney

It is a long time ago but, on the same radio station, there was an item about how different nationalities and cultures speak in different rhythms. I can't remember the details ( it was about 15 years ago ) but, apparently, the english tend to speak in Iambic pentameter, ( 5 beats to the bar ), The French in 4 beats and afro/ Caribbean's in 6 beats.

If I could remember who was explaining that it might be of interest re lip sync and animating body language !

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

I took Chinese for a year. They have an intonation system where each syllable is spoken with either a rise, a fall, a scoop or a steady tone and each will cause the syllable to have different meaning.

Our western notions of emphasizing a word through intonation or making something into a question by doing a rise on the end don't work in Chinese. This also explains to me why some of their traditional singing sounds so strange... most of their words can't be correctly spoken with a steady tone as we do in western singing.

Another problem is these intonations and syllables are not consistent across dialects. Our Chinese teacher told us of the situation where you could say "I want you to cut my hair" in one city and in another city it would mean "I want you to beat me on the head."