sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Circular walks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to set up a walk test were several copies of the same model walk around a path but using different cycles. Is this possible ?

Also

I followed the tutorial in TAOAM but am still getting skating is there a common cause for that?

regards

simopn

Should be possible to do. Just set the ease-value to a different value so they start at different positions.

Did you set "Has Stride Length" to on and did you set the step-width as described?

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Have you watched "Using Walk Cycles on a Path"?

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41588

I want to set up a walk test were several copies of the same model walk around a path but using different cycles. Is this possible ?

if you want a model to follow a path that loops back into itself, key the "ease" to jump from 100% to 0% at the point where the path starts over again.

A walk cycle would require that the path length be exactly a whole multiple of 2x the stride length

However, in my brief test I have not gotten a walk cycle action to survive the point where the jump occurs; the feet stop moving.

A quick work-around for now might be to make several copies of the path and rotate them so each model can appear to start at a different point.

• Hash Fellow

example of the problem...

say the ease starts at 20%, rises to 100, then jumps to 0% and rises again to 20%, then continues to rise past 20% the feet will be inactive in the stretch from 0 to 20 then begin working again beyond 20.

/|
           /  |
         /    |
       /      |
     /        |
   /          |
 /            |      /
/              |    /
              |  /*
              |/*

Probably a bug, given that other body parts continue to work.

• Hash Fellow

Here's the work around.

Set the ease in the first frame to zero, then set the ease in the next frame to whatever you wanted the starting ease to be. After that you can key the ease to be anything from 0 to 100 and it will all drive the walkcycle properly.

Just dont' render that first frame.

ease.JPG

• Hash Fellow

I'll add that getting the walk cycle to match exactly at the jump from 100 back to 0 is very difficult.

If you really need a character to walk several times in a circle, it will be easier to make the path itself circle several times and ease te charcter conventionally on that longer path.

If I am reading your request correctly you want several models on the same path but with different walk cycles that should be easy just assign cycle (assume action) to each model and have each follow the path...but maybe I am misreading your request

3guys.mov

3guys.zip

Fuchur, Rob, John

Thank you very much for your kind replies.

I'm just about to watch the walk cycles on a path tutorial but, in the interim, this was todays attempt.

The method used in the end was to replicate the path for each of the cycles used and to alllign those over each other.

I tried the ease method but it seemed to be rather temperamental. One model walked but, the other did not

I tried to import a spline circle as a model in a chor but the program would not allow it to be selected as a path. Or rather, it just hung there with nothing seeming to happen for several minutes. So I had to relaunch it .

I'm working in 15J on an Imac. @25fps

One curios thing I have noticed is that, although I've set the action up as smoothly as I could in the action window and it seems to play back there OK. When I take it into a chor the movement appear to be less fluid and much stiffer. The only way to counteract that was to increase the number of repetitions over the length of path ?

Rob had said that the length needed to accurately fit the stride length and I had tried to do that but not very successfully. Is there a way to measure the length of a path so that I can calculate the correct timing. I had tried to set up against the grid but, when forming the circle the measurements slipped as the control points were moved.

The idea is to try to generate different character through the walks but, thats getting a bit ahead at the mo.

Thanks for your help.

regards

simon Blox_Walk.mov