Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lancer Evo 7

thejobe

OK so for the past few months i been all over the place just working on different things.

i thought i might try something a little bigger than the usual rock or screwdriver.

so i picked a car that i wish to have some day down the road.

this is what i got so far about a month in.

im just stumped a few lines.

if you think you can give me a few idea what to do next let me know. been stuck here for 3 week lol.

im going to go pretty detailed with this.

so going to build engine and interior

evo_fender0.jpg

as far as i got so far

evo_test_01_0.jpg

how i set up the rotos

Lancer_evo_7.jpg

the car from the front

CopyofBuffsEVO.jpg

car from the side

so take a look and let me know what you guys think

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty sexy so far dude. One quick add I can see is that the smaller holes in the front spoiler have a horizontal bar splitting them. At least on the picture of the yellow one. But that might differ across each years' model. Those light clusters you've done are super sexy by the way.

well model it as it is. its a sepearate piece from the rest of the items you have there. you will have to use some 5pt patches to get yourself out of corners. On the fly, take a quick look at my audi wip thread. I have wireframes up and you might be able to get some ideas from that.

I dont know if this will be a problem for your model but I dont like the way you created those two holes under each headlight.

you might have issue if you need to add depth to it....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Around the lights there should be an additional shape that the lights fit into, they don't typically just hang there. Copy paste of the splines that meet other panels to create the new panels should help. This is a method I have used before with nurbs.

Tiny details use displacement maps and don't kill yourself with splines since you will probably go insane fixing bias handles. You can do the same with holes in areas along with a cookie cutter map that is contracted by a few pixels. This will create the depression around the hole and face a nice bevel..

Also, just model the half and cfa it later.

Really nice job, love to see the final. I'm a big fan of rally cars and the Evo is one of my favorites.

I don't think the rotos are bad. I really like how you have the rotoscopes boxed into your picture! That's a great idea! Brilliant!

I can't quite tell from the pics you have whether you are already doing this, but here's a suggestion. This is a big mistake I made on the school bus I made. Don't make it unibody. Keep all of the pieces separate, somewhat true to the actual panels on the real car. Do not share any CPs between groups/panels. It is so much easier to select a CP or patch and then click "/" and just get the panel/piece you want to get.

Keep it up!

ok heres a mini update.

got 1 fender done so far.

for some reason i just cant seem to get it to fit right

move a few cps one way and it screws it up somewhere else.

i always got stuck at this part

i got entire junkyard of car models i never finished because of this.

fender_wire_a0.jpg

this is where im at now

fender_wire_1a0.jpg

rendered it doesnt look that bad

fender_wire_2a0.jpg

you can see the trouble spots real good at this angle

fender_wire_3a0.jpg

heres a side shot

I dont like the rotoscopes you're using. Why? I cant understand the actual shape of the object... and if I cant "understand" the shape, there is no way I can build the model accurately.

that being said, I think you are basically building what you are able to "see" from the provided rotoscopes. I would possible try to search for better ones, ones that would allow you to fully see what the shape needs to be. Otherwise, you will have to make some mental leaps of faith and just go with that without comparing your 3d model to what you are using as reference.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I'd suggest that you put two splines (similar to the red one's in the image) running along each crease or feature line to define the start and stop of the bend in the sheet metal. Then add cross splines to define the bend shape.

very nice.

I started on the hood again got about this far

New_hood_1a0.jpgNew_hood_1b0.jpg

i tried your suggestion and only did half of the hood.

came across a problem though

when i try to use copy flip attach it either A. does nothing B. flips the wrong way C. flips inside out.

any suggestions how to fix that from happening?

using the EVo 9 roto since it was the highest res version

...when i try to use copy flip attach it either...

Don't even bother. Do it manually; in my experience you'll be happier with the result since copy-flip-attach tends to mess up bias handles even more than when you do it by hand. And adding the other half of the model is the next to last thing you should do on any part (re-tweaking the unavoidably messed up bias handles is the last thing ;) ).

If you want to get a good idea of what your half model looks like, continue the splines that cross the center line for another two cp's and put them more or less where their mirrored brothers are (see image). This way the shape of the surface at the center line will be really close to the final shape after the other half is added. If you must see the whole part before your done, make a copy and flip it but don't attach it.

Your new hood model looks good but I'd suggest you only use two splines to define the trim line and try to space your cp's more evenly near the front edge. Your going to get a ton of creasing otherwise. I'd also suggest you try different splinage at the trailing end of the air dam. For instance, I tried wrapping the dams' outer perimeter spline around the end and back down towards the center and it seems to work OK.

Lancer_suggestion_02.jpg

does that look better?

If you're satisfied with it, so am I.

With reference to the attached image, I'm curious what purpose the circled, leading edge cp serves. If it's to change the curvature of that spline section you can easily do that with bias control at both ends. I'd suggest you get rid of it or make it the start of another spline running to the trailing edge.

You may also want to re-think the front corner. Based on the roto top view, it's much sharper than the radius you've modeled.

Lancer_suggestion_03.jpg

That corner has be fix already and the CP is deleted. I never worked with bias handles so I wouldn't even know how to use them. Right nowcim in the process of doing the front fender. It is proving more difficult this time for some reason.

I never worked with bias handles so I wouldn't even know how to use them.

They're not too hard. Click on the show handles button in the toolbar, select a point on a spline, and move it around. But use them sparingly. As rodger_r said, that might be a good place for trying it out. If you find you're doing it all over the place, that could be a sign that you really needed more geometry (cps and splines) to define the shape. But for a one-off place like this, it would work fine.