sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

anyone use a SSD with A:M?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Has anyone experience with using a computer with a solid state drive with A:M?

I read that a PC with an SSD will boot much faster but my guess is it isn't a big factor for anything A:M itself does; has anyone tried it much?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone experience with using a computer with a solid state drive with A:M?

I read that a PC with an SSD will boot much faster but my guess is it isn't a big factor for anything A:M itself does; has anyone tried it much?

In generel, SSDs make all the acces-times for HardDisc-actions faster. Reading and writing itself can be faster, but that isn't much if you have a good HDD.

My thoughts (I am only logical guessing here):

Since A:M works with quite small files (project-files etc. are not that large as for example the once from polygon-programs) I doubt that it will speed

up A:M much.

That may differ if you import many, large texture-files, etc.

The drawback of SSDs is, that Flashdrives are not well known for their long-time saving of data. (most are not made to keep data very long. I am not sure if they solved that, but since that is the case, I would not try to save things on them too long.

So all in all: It may increase the speed, but I doubt that you will feel much about it.

Anyway only for the speeding up (video-editing should be much faster, so SSDs are quite expensive and may not have the capacity to do much in that direction) you may consider it.

See you

*Fuchur*

I have an ssd in my laptop and yes boot up is awesome. AM loads quickly but in general use not a big increase in performance. As for data storage I havent had any trouble. No crashes or anything. No fragmentation either.

It is about long time-security, if I am not wrong... you should not try to store something on it that needs to be there for years without being read / written from time to time.

For normal use it should be okay, but dont try to place your SSD in a box and open it in 3 years again... that may result in lost data.

See you

*Fuchur*

I switched over the primary drive in my system to an SSD over a year ago and the performance boost is phenomenal! Boot time is quicker, application start up is quicker, etc.

That being said, I only installed a 75GB SSD and only install applications on it that get used often. i.e. - browsers, system tools, security, anti-virus, A:M, Open Office, etc. Data for those applications, pictures, etc. are all stored on a standard drive as I can get the capacity on that without breaking the bank.

If you buy a GOOD SSD, i.e. - Intel or higher end Samsung, then you should have reliable operation as long or longer than a standard hard drive with no performance drop.

The Intel drives have, in my opinion, the best management system for writing data. Even after all locations on the drive have been written to once, the performance drop is negligible. Not all drives show this performance stability. Quite a few will slow down after every location has been written to once. Do your research before you buy.

I think I spent about $150 on a 75GB drive. You can probably get them cheaper now, even for a good Intel SSD.