Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flag Tutorial - Problems

Pinballwzd

Hello,

I am getting very frustrated trying to figure out how to get a flag animated using SimCloth.

I believe I have followed all the steps correctly but my flag keeps flying away.

I tried this on my own model as well as the model in the tutorial.

This is what I have done ( hope you can follow )

I created a Flag and Pole model.

Created a group for attached and another for the flag.

Created a bone for the mast and applied all CP to the bone.

Set attached to on for the attached group

( both in Model mode and Choreography mode )

Created the Force and Turbulence as outlined in the Tutorial.

Created the Spring System by selecting the flag group in muscle mode and clicking cloth wizard.

Click on Spring System and simulating.

Each time, the flag blows away.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I am getting very frustrated trying to figure out how to get a flag animated using SimCloth.

Since I see nowhere in your description where you say you've created a material I must assume you are not using SimCloth but are instead using the earlier version of Cloth that utilizes spring systems. We can troubleshoot the old Cloth but it might be better to tackle Simcloth.

Download the zipfile at this link and you'll be on your way to SimCloth.

Since I see nowhere in your description where you say you've created a material I must assume you are not using SimCloth but are instead using the earlier version of Cloth that utilizes spring systems. We can troubleshoot the old Cloth but it might be better to tackle Simcloth.

Download the zipfile at this link and you'll be on your way to SimCloth.

Hello,

Sorry about that. I was viewing the EX18flag tutorial which uses the earlier version of Cloth. I see in the video that the fellow was using 2003 AM.

As I am using the newest version of AM, which must be where the problem lies. I will download thie zip file and go from there. Thank you,

Pinballwzd ---cloth systems are pretty complex and lots and lots of tweaking always required. Its one of the most devilish items in any 3d application that has it. One nice thing about Animation Master's Cloth sim --its pretty fast. So tweaking can happen faster. Anyhow enjoy and keep working at it. The results can be very nice.

• Hash Fellow
Sorry about that. I was viewing the EX18flag tutorial which uses the earlier version of Cloth.

We should get that taken down and or replaced. That may be a source of major frustration to new users.

• Admin
We should get that taken down and or replaced. That may be a source of major frustration to new users.

Well, the old cloth should still work. Perhaps we should work out a demo that runs through both methods.

The frustration is bound to be found in the middle gap where some folks refer to the old cloth... some to the new cloth... and both think they are staring at exactly the same thing.

We are sure to see some folks working in the old cloth for many more years to come even if we get rid of the old stuff. As the old cloth presumably still has some benefit understanding how to set it up may not be an entirely bad thing.

• Hash Fellow

I don't think there's any benefit to old cloth. Certainly no benefit for a new user.

We should make sure people are using Simcloth and staying with it.

The TAoA:M I have with the Sorceress on it uses SimCloth.