Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

melted 5 pointer decals

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Anyone know about this....

I slapped my Al Capone rotoscope onto my model as a decal, and it looks OK until I move any of the 5 point patch CPs in the UV editor and then they look like a cigarette got put through them. They still look OK in a final render (left) but the real-time view is out of whack (right).

melted5pointers.JPG

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know about this....

I slapped my Al Capone rotoscope onto my model as a decal, and it looks OK until I move any of the 5 point patch CPs in the UV editor and then they look like a cigarette got put through them. They still look OK in a final render (left) but the real-time view is out of whack (right).

melted5pointers.JPG

Had that too, but could not see why and when it happend... if it is related to moving UVs, you may want to create a bug report for it.

Have seen those for quite a time so (maybe since v13 or 14)

The model is good looking! Keep up the cool work!

See you

*Fuchur*

Yes, I've noticed this for some time, but in my case, in the realtime view decals on five-pointers are always messed up, not just from moving cp's. It happens identically on both mac and pc. I just live with it.

• Hash Fellow
I believe this started happening somewhere between 13s and 14c. This is a real-time shaded view closeup of 5 point patches around Hypogyraff's legs

interesting. I'm trying it in v13t and it doesn't make a hole but it does make an obvious discoloration.

I'll look for some older A:Ms to test further.

I was going to say that this happens to me in 14c. My workaround for this (this alslo fixes the "bluriness" i get on my model in realtime) is to have the edit of my decal up, go to the model, render a bit of the model, hit the exit button on the keyboard, move to look at the edit of my decal, which shouldn't be blurry now, then I move back to my model. It should leave you with a perfect looking decal on your model in realtime, although 5-pointers may still be a bit "swirly".

• Hash Fellow
I was going to say that this happens to me in 14c. My workaround for this (this alslo fixes the "bluriness" i get on my model in realtime) is to have the edit of my decal up, go to the model, render a bit of the model, hit the exit button on the keyboard, move to look at the edit of my decal, which shouldn't be blurry now, then I move back to my model. It should leave you with a perfect looking decal on your model in realtime, although 5-pointers may still be a bit "swirly".

Where in that do you actually edit CPs on the UV view?

Well, I only had the problem of invisa-5s once. I used the example above, which I usually use to just get me decals to display correctly in real time, and it worked to get rid of the problem. I haven't had that problem since and don't know what caused it.

• 3 weeks later...
This problem made me worried about 3DPainter, but it seems to make a pretty good go at representing decals on 5-pointers in real-time. I wonder what it does differently?

I think this has been addressed by Steffen... at least it is in the change log...

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow
This problem made me worried about 3DPainter, but it seems to make a pretty good go at representing decals on 5-pointers in real-time. I wonder what it does differently?

I think this has been addressed by Steffen... at least it is in the change log...

I don't see it in the change log yet. This is not #5983, the 5-pointer problem is 5987.