sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

transparent Glass text look

jason1025

transparent Glass text look

Can someone talented in Material create this look?

You can do it easily with Pro animator but I of course want to use my favorite program. This look is very hot right now so I think it will come in handy for all of us.

It has a high production value, in my opinion. Kind of reminds me of something apple would do.

glass_text.mov

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Me... if I had a program that could already do the text effect I needed, I'd use it!

But in A:M... hmmm... of course, the letters have depth and small bevels on the edges... I think two passes would be necessary, one for the transparent effects and then one for the frosted look that turns the glass white where light is hitting it

The transparent glass pass would be a regular render. It probably needs refraction in the glass material, but hard to tell from the sample.

For the frosted pass I would reset all the letters to flat white and turn off all the lights except the spot light waving across them.

The frosted pass would be composited at about 50% over the glass pass with a screen or multiply or add or something so only the bright parts were transferred.

It's possible that separate "frosted" passes would be needed for each layer of the letters: front surface, front bevel, sides, back bevel, back surface... to catch the different bits of light on them.

• Hash Fellow

As i look at that some more, it's possible the "frosting" is not intended to be a frosted glass look but a more typical specular reflection.

Carefully posing lights to sweep the specular reflection across the front might get you the effect in one pass. Use the Glossy shader for that.

Well, I wasn't able to track it down, but my fuzzy memory was that after the type was created in a 3D app, a mask was made in After Effects and the image was then distorted and overlayed over the text. Made it look like it was reflecting images, but there was no actual reflection. Looked very similar to that effect (although it was more dramatic obviously.)

I came across it while searching for inspiration for title effects. My fuzzy memory says that it was for a game trailer-like effect (maybe had "monster" in the title?) but I'm pretty sure that I didn't find it directly from a Google search, but found it linked on one of the sites that I did find in Google.

Is the '3D Invigorator' now called 'Pro Animator'... ?

I used to use the 3D Invigorator by Zaxworks... it made great looking 3D text very quickly right inside of AE... but if you wanted to do something unconventional or out of the ordinary... forget it.

That text did not look too hard to recreate in A:M... even without materials. Try placing the attached image just behind your camera and resize it nice and big... under it's OPTIONS tab choose 'Flat Shaded'. This will give you something to reflect into the face of the type. Set your texts properties at about 85% transparent and a high reflection value. Also set your specular size, color and intensity on the high side. I would also consider a MatCap for the Ambience shader with something like the image attached. Lower the scene's default lighting values, set camera bkgd to black and render with an alpha. You may need to generate a matte element by rendering another element with no transparency on the type.

Finish it off in AE with a simple Layer Style/Bevel Emboss or filter to taste.

Test and adjust. Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: I just realized that the 'Punchy Reflections' element I gave you is something I borrowed from my old 3D invigorator about 10 years ago! Ha!

Punchy_ReflectionsSI.jpg

MatCap_0025_Layer_11.jpg

Hi Jason .. here is my attempt ...

Thanks this looks great. With a little tweaking and higher res renders I think you got it down.

Thanks for your help.

If you would like my product LightDims found here www.lightdims.com

I am glad to send you a free one for the help.