Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Norton Virgiens Master Class

KenH

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's free and I have a spot booked. Just need to confirm. I'll probably go. Nothing to lose really. I wasn't big in to Rugrats but watched some of it. I always thought it looked messy....but I guess that was intentional. I'm mainly interested in what goes in to making a storyboard.....but I can't really draw! :) I guess it's similar to animatics/layout....which I've done lots of for TWO and SO.

I'm mainly interested in what goes in to making a storyboard.....but I can't really draw! :) I guess it's similar to animatics/layout....which I've done lots of for TWO and SO.

A book that I found very useful, inspiring, and interesting to read is "Directing the Story" by Francis Glebas - "professional storytelling and storyboarding techniques for live action and animation".

He has a fun, painless way of presenting the information, and actually uses a graphic novel format to demonstrate the concepts, techniques. Not just about storyboarding, but storytelling - 5 stars from me. You might find something like that useful, to augment the class.

• Hash Fellow

Free? No reason not to go! They're not expecting you to draw anything yourself are they? Say you're a 3D animator who works from other people's storyboards and want to know more about what to look out for.

I've been reading Nancy Beiman's "Prepare to Board" and she notes that TV animation storyboards are very different from feature animation storyboards which are very different from live action storyboards which are very different from comic storyboards.

Turns out "feature" animation storyboard are probably the least finished looking of all.

Yes it's just a 1.5 hour masterclass thing. Not on going. No drawing....just listening, though they did ask if I would do a storyboard test. They're trying to stimulate interest in animation here.

I don't know if I'll get to read the book by Thursday Nancy, but I might get it anyway. That's settled. I'll say I'm going.

Thanks!

• Admin

Too late to weigh in here but... YES... DEFINITELY... you should go.

That and you should learn to draw.

Everyone should and can draw. :)

But most importantly you'll learn a lot and have fun.

I have the opportunity to go to a master class by Norton Virgiens. Apparently he directed much of the Rugrats animations. Other than that I don't know much else. Do you think I should go? Anyone know anything about him? Thanks.

http://www.brownblogfilms.com/news/storybo...norton-virgien/

I would go if I had the chance!

Norton Virgiens director Duckman (tv series) from 1994-1996 and of rugrats from 1991-1997

also director of rugrats movie(1998) and rugrats go wild (2003) curious george 2: follow that monkey! (2009) and is currently working on Doc McStuffins (2011)

Norton Virgiens

im a huge rugrats fan