Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How does A:M use percentages?

bubba

(This topic has been split off from another discussion.)

I would like to see a basic discussion first of how A:M uses percentages. I am of the old school that says a percentage is a fraction of something (and that 0 and 100 are the min and max.) So I would like to know the basis that A:M is uses for each property. Same for numbers. Some are easy like particle count or size (cm default but whatever the unit.) But velosity - is it furlongs per fortnight or what?

I know it is probably just me, but it would go a long way to helping me be a better animator.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin
I am of the old school that says a percentage is a fraction of something (and that 0 and 100 are the min and max.)

0 to 100 is a good way to look at percentages until you move beyond 100%.

How does old school deal with 101% or 200%, etc?

How do you deal with fractions such as 4/3 and 3/1?

I would like to see a basic discussion first of how A:M uses percentages. I am of the old school that says a percentage is a fraction of something (and that 0 and 100 are the min and max.) So I would like to know the basis that A:M is uses for each property. Same for numbers. Some are easy like particle count or size (cm default but whatever the unit.) But velosity - is it furlongs per fortnight or what?

I know it is probably just me, but it would go a long way to helping me be a better animator.

I think most of these questions can be answered in the Technical Reference...which you can download here (15MB). Check pages 25-42 for Particle Systems...there are probably other pages with more information, but that's a good start.

Hope that helps.

• Hash Fellow

What are some specific percentage units you have doubts about?

I'm not sure of the velocity units.

You could appraise this perhaps by setting up a simple emitter that gave off a few particles with no viscosity and no gravity and see how far they traveled and see if any relevant distance had been reached in 1 frame of 1 second (one second is the likeliest milepost since it depends not on frame rate.)

What are some specific percentage units you have doubts about?

I'm not sure of the velocity units.

You could appraise this perhaps by setting up a simple emitter that gave off a few particles with no viscosity and no gravity and see how far they traveled and see if any relevant distance had been reached in 1 frame of 1 second (one second is the likeliest milepost since it depends not on frame rate.)

In general, if I am not wrong, you are using the wrong setting.

If we are talking about sprites:

There are two possibilities to animate the velocity (and most other things):

- by the Sprite Emitter > no percentage value but a number for inital velocity.

- by the Particle System > percentage value of the underlying emitter-value.

The cool thing about the Particle System-properties: You can control many different sprite emitters without having to manipulate every single emitter-property by itself.

That would be much more redudant for lets say a Particle System with 20 emitters.

The percentage-value of the Particle System is based on the Sprite Emitter below it.

An example:

1. Sprite-Emitter > Initial Velocity = 100

2. Sprite-Emitter > Initial Velocity = 200

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So animated that would mean:

> Key 1: Particle System > Initial Velocity 100%:

Absolute: 1. Sprite-Emitter > Initial Velocity = 100

Absolute: 2. Sprite-Emitter > Initial Velocity = 200

> Key 2: Particle System > Initial Velocity 50%:

Absolute: 1. Sprite-Emitter > Initial Velocity = 50

Absolute: 2. Sprite-Emitter > Initial Velocity = 100

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I can't say which unit this "100 / 200" is so.

See you

*Fuchur*

unfettered particles, not under the influence of any force, and with no viscosity, appear to move 100 cm in 1 sec when velocity is set to 100

Then why not say "cms/sec" so that 100 would equal 100 cms per second.

Is Force based upon gravity so that a negative 1 in the minus-y direction a negative 1-G force?

0 to 100 is a good way to look at percentages until you move beyond 100%.

How does old school deal with 101% or 200%, etc?

How do you deal with fractions such as 4/3 and 3/1?

I would say (IMHO) that numbers larger than 100% would become factors, such as 2X or 3X; but they are still based upon a starting number - be it 1 or 100 or 1000. Or they can remain percentages - just need to know of what they are a percentage of. (sorry about the incorrect grammar.) :D

• Hash Fellow
Then why not say "cms/sec" so that 100 would equal 100 cms per second.

It could happen. To me the distances are so imaginary that not knowing the actual units never bothered me.

I don't know what happens if you switch A:M units to inches or feet. I suspect 100 will still mean 100cm.

I'd say, if you need it, write it down somewhere. I don't see any advantage in writing it 100 times at different places in the interface and making the interface less fun with that, because it gets such a technical look to it. In the end, it is not important anyway. Many 3d-animation-packages are not even having units like cm or inch. They just say 1 for one imaginary unit. It is always the proportain that matters, not the real unit. If a human is 1 (whatever unit) than a pencil should be about 1 / 15 (whatever unit) of him.

See you

*Fuchur*