sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Light Peak aka Thunder Bolt is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason1025

Today the first computers are available with Light Peak aka Thunder Bolt connectivity. 1 cable provides 10Gbs or a sustained data transfer in both directions. You can play a bluray via the same cable while simotaniously transferring a large file while simotaniously capturing 10bit uncompressed 1920x1080 video @ 60 frames per second. to your computer.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

http://www.lacie.com/us/technologies/technology.htm?id=10039

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidmWiqKzqY...player_embedded

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

480Mbs 1 direction only USB 2.0

800Mbs 1 direction only Firewire 800

3,000Mbs 1 direction only E Sata II

4,800Mbs 1 direction only USB 3.0

6,000Mbs 1 direction onlyE Sata III

10,000Mbs 2 Directions sustainedLightPeak aka Thunder Bolt

The question will be:

How expensive is it compared to USB3.0 / eSATA 3 / SATA 3?

If it can be sold at the same or only slightly higher price it may be a nice alternative, but USB 3.0 is fast enough for most purposes, is compatible to old USB2.0- and USB 1.1-Devices and is very common and easy to use in the industry... so even if it is only 1/2 as fast, most people just don't need more... you would have to edit full hd-material (uncompressed) to really see a performance-increase and let's not forget: You need very expensive ssd-harddrives in Arrays to produce fast enough systems. Till now these are expensive and have small capacities... so uncompressed hd-material would fill up those very fast.

So lets see what the future brings, but till now, other connectiontypes are as good as this one.

The only practival advantage I see is the connection of several drives / etc. in a row.

See you

*Fuchur*

It looks like Apple has decided to boycot USB 3.0 just like they did with blu-ray. They excluded Blu-ray burners from their computers because Blu-ray competes with Itunes movie rentals that are also in HD. Because Apple and Intel are both equally vested in Light Peak I dont think we will see USB 3.0 in Macs.

Intels version of LightPeak Appears to Be Backward compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.0 I am not sure if its compatible with 3.0

Apples Version called Thunderbolt works via the Mini display port to also easily take advantage of sending a signal to Monitors while connected to drives.

Its true most users are fine with firewire 800 or usb 2.0 but I like to be forward thinking. I can always use more speed and I think most people do too. It often sparks inovation.

Another practical advantage is LightPeak works over extremely long distances.

I wonder what the ISPs will try to charge us for 10GB/s? :o

If in Canada...a lot, considering this new bandwidth cap is still in effect even though they're "talking it over" due to the massive response against it when they announced it a few weeks ago. Pay more for less, a lot less, like a total of 25 gigs transfer both ways or something like that. Needless to say, I signed the petition against the cap :)

• Hash Fellow

From what i can tell the fastest broadband available in the home is 160 Megabits per second, in Japan, at a cost of ~$60 per month.

The Netherlands has 120 Mbps for ~$107 per month

I get my 1.2 Mbps here in Dallas for $25 per month.

All far below the capacity of Thunder Peak, however.

I dont think THunder Bolt or light Peak is related to internet in any way. Think of it more like an alternative to USB or Firewire. They say you can copy a full length HD movie from one hard drive to the next in less than 30 seconds. Depending on the compression that could take 30 minutes to an hour for usb 2.0 or firewire.

FYi

I pay $40 per month after taxes and get 6Mbs download and 1Mbs upload. They keep telling me that for $5 more they will double the bandwidth to 12Mbs

ATT Uverse fiber optics I think their max is some where around 40Mbs but the price is stiff.

Thought this might be useful information to some people

Conversions for data rates

Mb to MB divide by 8

MB to Mb multiply by 8

MB to GB divide by 1024

GB to MB multiply by 1024

Capital G generally means 1024

Lowercase g means 1000

Capital B means Bytes

Lowercase b means bits which are much smaller than bytes

It looks like Apple has decided to boycot USB 3.0 just like they did with blu-ray. They excluded Blu-ray burners from their computers because Blu-ray competes with Itunes movie rentals that are also in HD.

Apple is copying the tactics of their arch-nemesis Microsoft. It is getting them big profits today, but in time they will encounter the same backlash as MS. Then people will be calling them $pple ;)

I pay $40 per month after taxes and get 6Mbs download and 1Mbs upload.

I'm jealous. Qwest charges me $45/mo for 1.5 Mb/s

From what i can tell the fastest broadband available in the home is 160 Megabits per second, in Japan, at a cost of ~$60 per month.

Chattanooga TN offers Gigabit internet speeds (1000 Mb/s) at a cool $350/mo.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/13/chattan...ce-just-350-pe/

If 14 people in Chattanooga form a cooperative, they can each get 71Mb/s for $25/mo :)

It looks like Apple has decided to boycot USB 3.0 just like they did with blu-ray. They excluded Blu-ray burners from their computers because Blu-ray competes with Itunes movie rentals that are also in HD.

Apple is copying the tactics of their arch-nemesis Microsoft. It is getting them big profits today, but in time they will encounter the same backlash as MS. Then people will be calling them $pple ;)

I pay $40 per month after taxes and get 6Mbs download and 1Mbs upload.

I'm jealous. Qwest charges me $45/mo for 1.5 Mb/s

Chattanooga TN offers Gigabit internet speeds (1000 Mb/s) at a cool $350/mo.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/13/chattan...ce-just-350-pe/

If 14 people in Chattanooga form a cooperative, they can each get 71Mb/s for $25/mo :)

Hey!!! That's where I'm at! :)

They excluded Blu-ray burners from their computers because Blu-ray competes with Itunes movie rentals that are also in HD.

I've never heard that given as the reasoning. Everything I've ever read is that the initial resistance was because of huge licensing fees (that Jobs characterized as "a bag of hurt.") Now the thinking is that Blu-Ray is going to end up being something similar to the high-end audio CDs (ie SACD) and won't have the widespread acceptance that DVDs had.

It seems like most folks are more interested in the content itself than the pixel depth, being okay with streaming and rentals that max out at 720p and are often much less.

I tend to agree (and I'm someone who was a giant consumer of both DVDs and Blu-Rays, going years where I spent $100 or more a week on them.) The idea that Netflix and other services will reach a saturation point where most everything you'd want to see can be accessed immediately outweighs not being able to make out the textures of the fabric in the clothes the actors are wearing.

Most Blu-Ray players now allow you to use data discs, so you can put compressed HD video files on a DL DVD which is enough for most home movies.

I'd love to have the storage capacity for back up, but I think the vast majority of users simply don't generate enough content to justify putting the cost into the computers.

I agree with your thoughts. Poor Blu-ray. I think the war lasted too long. studios waited too long to embrace the technology. Once the wheels of progress finally started rolling the technology and or practicality of "tangible" media became outdated.

a long time ago I was a DVD Authorist back when that was a high paying respected job before a secretary could Author and burn a disc on her mac book. I had some input in the Blu-ray spec back in 2001 . Atleast I got to make a with list along with a bunch of other people in the industry. A decade goes by real fast.

A profesor from a a school asked me to lecture at his DVD/ Blu-ray Authoring Class he taught about a year ago.

He was very upset with me because I told his students to drop the class immediately. I told them the future is "Intangible Media". Similar to music but even more so now with that too is the Technical Revolution of not having to own a physical copy of something digital. I told them it was all about "Access to the digital information"

6 months later the Profesor calls me up and apologizes to me. He says "you were right, they should have dropped the class" I asked why the change of heart?

He said that he was purchasing the hulu plus service and he had already been a member of Netflix. But more importantly he talked about how He had on his hardrive entire seasons of TV shows he had recorded with his TiVO.

This is the key change!

He now came to the conclusion that he no longer wanted to store the media on drives and that he felt the ability to access the shows was easier via hulu plus.

He also said that now that his blu-ray player allowed for streaming HD Netflix movies, he often found himself streaming a Movie he already owned on Blu-ray or DVD.

Getting up off the couch and going to his library to pull a disc out was more effort that hitting a few buttons on a remote. And because Netflix HD with the Proper bandwidth has a portion of their HD content encoded in 1080p Some of the Netflix content looked better than older 720p versions of his blu-rays.

Times they are a changin