Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A look inside Pixar

KenH

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Just brainstorming a bit more seriously on the $100K...

An animated feature on that budget would be like what Bill Plympton or Nina Paley does.

Basically one person, and the "cost" is whatever it takes for a couple of years to pay the rent, fill the fridge, do some guerrilla marketing and perhaps hire the occasional person to handle necessary but non-creative tasks that can be delegated.

They're 2D and 2D can get away with a lot of economies that don't work in 3D.

They're 2D and 2D can get away with a lot of economies that don't work in 3D.

I think it's time we tried finding ones that will...

I am attempting to do just that with our Virtual Studio

Pappa Bear Studios has done one job, which in truth didn't pay much, but we learned a bunch during the process. I'm out fishing for some paying work, and we're discussing some in-house projects to use in demo reels. I think it is entirely possible to do, as long as those involved aren't looking to get rich quick, and like most other starving artists, willing to work other "day jobs" to keep the lights on. A:M is up to the task; it just takes the rest of us to be up for it as well....

• Hash Fellow

From what i can find about "The Last Days of Coney Island" it seems to be on permanent hold. I guess even Ralph Bakshi still needs someone else's money to make a movie even with the magic box.

But the crucial element he doesn't address in his talk is distribution. What we learned form TWO and SO is that making a movie is hard but getting people to watch it is even harder.

From what i can find about "The Last Days of Coney Island" it seems to be on permanent hold. I guess even Ralph Bakshi still needs someone else's money to make a movie even with the magic box.

But the crucial element he doesn't address in his talk is distribution. What we learned form TWO and SO is that making a movie is hard but getting people to watch it is even harder.

Yeah he dismisses distribution with the comment "hell, sell it on ebay!" As if it is that easy.

(I was also somewhat miffed by his "magic box" comments too. Too often people act as if the computer does all the work and he seemed intent on reaffirming that view.)

What we learned form TWO and SO is that making a movie is hard but getting people to watch it is even harder.

Streaming, streaming, streaming. That's where the distribution market is heading.

Perhaps netflix should be reconsidered? I remember reading something about Holmes saying he felt uncomfortable making a deal with them, when they were willing.

There's rarely money in the internet. People want their content free.

Netflix pays. Netflix has proven that people are willing to pay for content.

I don't know their payout structure, especially for indie studios, but at least it's an outlet, and they wouldn't demand exclusivity.

I gotta agree with Nancy on this, if netflix wants to put up TWO & SO Then you should definitely go for it! It's people watching, & money coming in. Put up one & not the other, make people buy the second one if they want to see it.

& yeah, sell it on ebay. Why not? Don't just sell one at a time, sell cases, 24 packs or something. You might find video stores & discount stores picking them up to resell.

I don't think Bakshi meant ONLY ebay, I think he meant that there are enough ways for the individual to reach potential buyers/distributors now, that we should taking advantage of as many as possible. Every dollar counts.

What we learned form TWO and SO is that making a movie is hard but getting people to watch it is even harder.

Streaming, streaming, streaming. That's where the distribution market is heading.

Perhaps netflix should be reconsidered? I remember reading something about Holmes saying he felt uncomfortable making a deal with them, when they were willing.

Martin contacted Netflix and they referred him to their distributor, Victory Multimedia. Then Martin conveniently packed off to Africa and left me to deal with the Distributor guy. I read through the contract and then talked to him on the phone for maybe 10 minutes. I didn't get much of a warm fuzzy feeling from him, but maybe that's just me. Then I decided to just wait until Martin got back and let him deal with it. Martin didn't want to deal with him either.

If you want to deal with the guy, I'm pretty sure Martin still has all the contact information.

Martin contacted Netflix and they referred him to their distributor, Victory Multimedia. Then Martin conveniently packed off to Africa and left me to deal with the Distributor guy. I read through the contract and then talked to him on the phone for maybe 10 minutes. I didn't get much of a warm fuzzy feeling from him, but maybe that's just me. Then I decided to just wait until Martin got back and let him deal with it. Martin didn't want to deal with him either.

If you want to deal with the guy, I'm pretty sure Martin still has all the contact information.

I don't think Martin wants to deal with me either.

When you say "no fuzzy-wuzzy feeling": Do you mean they weren't interested? or the deal was too "insulting"? Are there final versions ready to go? Do people feel that the current sales of dvd's would be jeopardized, or others have objections to it being on Netflix? Is SO destined for the festival circuit?

Even if the deal was piddly & the deal still stands, and there are final versions, then I say go for it.

Who has the authority, decision power to sign a deal? If people have lost interest, then that's another story. Time to move on.

I would contact them if people were willing to let it/them go.

Blockbuster going into bankruptcy, Coinstar not doing so good. Both are dvd models.

Netflix closed at $231 today, up 264% for the year (I bought it at $26 in 2006! Yes, I'm braggging!). Amazon, Apple, Google will probably start their own subscription streaming services. Hulu might be another outlet?

• Hash Fellow

One problem with Netflix is that they require a commercially pressed DVD and the edit of TWO on the commercially pressed DVD isn't the best that TWO can be. I'm not sure any version of TWO would get accepted anyway; I haven't seen anything quite that rough on Netflix.

• Hash Fellow
I haven't seen anything quite that rough on Netflix.

Then you haven't seen "Jan Svankmajer: The Ossuary and Other Tales".

OK, you've got me there. That was definitely getting into "Bad Conceptual Art" territory. I only made it through the first 30 minutes.

However, Svankmajer has the aura of being a critically acclaimed master of eastern European surrealism. He's a historical artifact.

And our movie will likely be gauged by much it meets the level of a Pixar movie rather than how much it exceeds Svankmajer.

However, Svankmajer has the aura of being a critically acclaimed master of eastern European surrealism. He's a historical artifact.

And our movie will likely be gauged by much it meets the level of a Pixar movie rather than how much it exceeds Svankmajer.

TWO is an historical artifact as well. Can be written up as that. Yes, the reviews could be brutal, unless it's categorized for a certain age range (reviews would be less brutal, mommies are much nicer). We still don't know what stage the deal was at, nor what the contract said, nor if the same deal is available still. And then there is the issue of the final dvd. So what if it's less that perfect. All they can say is no. But I'm guessing it has to be submitted for consideration by whomever owns the rights (Hash?). I wouldn't expect it to make much, if any money. It would be released into the campy pool of eternal infamy, our own very special animated Plan 9.

I'm not really involved here... but after reading this thread I am with Nancy... if it is a choice between the current plan (which seems to be 'sit on it') OR sell it on NetFlix, then... SELL SELL SELL! I'll betcha the results there will be surprising whereas the results of 'sitting on it' are very predictable. The guy did'nt give a warm fuzzy feeling because he is a cubicle jockey reading the terms out of a manual, he has no vested interest.

WAY TO GO on the NetFlix stock, Nancy! Wish I had seen that coming... any tips?

I think I am now understanding the fuzzless feeling that Holmes might have been getting from Victory Multimedia. Thread on this forum provides additional info.

Netflix has films that are streamable ONLY (no dvd). I wonder if that is an option.

EDIT: I am also seeing on other threads that others are recommending Indies work with Passion River or Film Baby instead of Victory.

Edited by NancyGormezano