sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modeling - Detach action

bubba

Is there anyway to detach (using the detach button) just a CP and spline segment. What I am asking is there anyway to select a spline segment and the associated CP and detach just the selection from a nexus of other splines?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

When two splines intersect at one CP, "Detach Point" will unjoin them so they are two splines going through two CPS that happen to be at the same location. You can then select one CP and move it away from the other CP.

is this not what you are trying to do?

Click on the segment and hit "K" to break the spline, as Matt said. If it doesn't break you can add another CP in the centre of the segment, by selecting the segment and hitting "Y", and then try breaking the spline at that junction. Sometimes you may need to add two CPs before the segment will break.

If you are wanting to break a model into seperate parts it is probably best to copy/paste the parts and then go back and break, and delete, the splines that you don't need.

• Admin
What I am trying to do is detach just one segment of the line - so that the other three segments stay attached to the common CP.

The two keys I use here are the Delete key and K key.

Delete will remove the end of a spline that terminates at a Control Point (CP). (It will remove the last segment taking the spline back to the last available CP)

The K key (think 'Kill') will separate splines that run continuously through multiple CPs. (effectively separating them)

Sometimes (i.e. if you use the K key when you meant to use the Delete key or vice versa) a combination of these two keys one right after the other will be ideal.

I will take a shot at this.

Select the two cp's of the spline you want, then copy, go back and use the delete or "K" to remove the part you don't want. then you can paste the segment back in.

If you want to keep a shape one segment will not work.

Looking at your question I think the anser is no. You can not brake multiple cp's or a spline at once. You will need to do then one at a time.

But you can do the copy/ delete and paste as an alternative.